River Roy - Middle (Gorge)

Inland paddling
Terryg

River Roy - Middle (Gorge)

Post by Terryg » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:53 pm

Last edited by Mark R on Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Steve B

Post by Steve B » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:04 pm

Thank you for the link Terry. Another tragedy.
Steve Balcombe

James F

Post by James F » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:31 pm

There will be a statement in due course in the meantime all concerned would appreciate it if discussion could be delayed. Thank you for your cooperation.

Kayak-Girl83

Post by Kayak-Girl83 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:21 pm

Condolences to all concerned.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:09 pm

Three small groups were paddling the Roy Gorge in low water conditions, all from Kingfisher Canoe Club or friends of Kingfisher. A paddler from the middle group drifted well off course and capsized directly over a small siphon. He pulled his deck and exited his boat directly into the siphon.

It so happened that all three groups were within sight of the accident and thus members of all groups were quickly able to converge on the spot and attempt to rescue the victim. Strenuous efforts were made to extract the victim whilst still conscious, however the force of the water, difficulty of access and low temperatures impeded progress.

The victim was finally extracted some time after he had lost consciousness and lifted to a ledge just above the water. CPR was commenced whilst some others went for help. After 15 minutes, the victim was moved to a position higher up which was safer for the CPR team, and CPR was recommenced and continued until the paramedics arrived and under their direction, for some time after.

A doctor arrived and pronounced the victim dead, whilst praising the team for their efforts at resusitation.

Lochaber Mountain Rescue extricated the body from the gorge to the road.

I was present. From what I witnessed, the paddlers involved - young and old, experienced and inexperienced - did everything possible to rescue and resusitate the victim. Kingfisher Canoe Club and their friends conducted themselves in a manner which does huge credit to them, and it was an honour to work with them to try and save this man's life.

Thank you also to the member of the Tryweryn's staff who arrived and assisted in CPR.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

forestknights

Post by forestknights » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:43 am

My thoughts are with the family.

A sad loss.
Know the wisdom of patience during times of inactivity.

www.forestknights.co.uk

Ben-E

Post by Ben-E » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:04 am

My thoughts are with the friends and family but also with the rescuers involved.

tizereyes

Post by tizereyes » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:29 am

If you were one of the guys from the road who helped at this accident and would like your throw line back, please PM me.
Thanks

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:21 pm

Bertie..

Post by Bertie.. » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:33 am

My condolences to family and friends of the deceased.

Times like these remind me of just how small our community is, and whilst I didn't know the deceased I do know people who were there, making it a personal connection.

My heart goes out to all those who were present when this was happening. It's obviously a distressing time for all concerned, and having been through something similar, I know how you'll all be suffering. Look after yourselves.

Zoe Newsam

Post by Zoe Newsam » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:38 am

Bertie.. wrote:My condolences to family and friends of the deceased.

Times like these remind me of just how small our community is, and whilst I didn't know the deceased I do know people who were there, making it a personal connection.

My heart goes out to all those who were present when this was happening... Look after yourselves.
I can only echo Bertie's sentiments. I hope you're all ok. I have no idea what else to say...

Thinking of you.
Zoe Newsam
Sea Kayak Guide & Mountain Leader

Gary F

Post by Gary F » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:29 am

BBC news wrote:The area around Lochaber had been hit by recent storms and heavy rain made local rivers particularly fierce.
It always angers me when the media has to sensationalise an already tragic story. This statement would cause the average person to think that a careless, irresponsible act had taken place in high water rather than, as Mark's post informs us, an awful low water accident within a well organised group.

My thought are with Steven's family & friends and with those who tried to save him.
Last edited by Gary F on Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

flydave

Condolences

Post by flydave » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:34 am

My condolences to all concerned in what sounds like a horrible tragedy.

I've paddled Roy Gorge loads and will paddle it many more times I hope. So is it possible to say where this incident occured? Mark described the paddler as "well off course" but I'd appreciate knowing where this dangerous syphon is for future reference.

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:51 am

I really don't know what to say, and nothing I can will make it any easier for anyone involved, but my thoughts are with you.

Cheers

Tom

Mark R

Re: Condolences

Post by Mark R » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:02 am

flydave wrote:I've paddled Roy Gorge loads and will paddle it many more times I hope. So is it possible to say where this incident occured? Mark described the paddler as "well off course" but I'd appreciate knowing where this dangerous syphon is for future reference.
The accident spot is already described in the guide on this site. At the low water levels we had on Friday, it did not seem to present a major threat to paddlers heading down the main chute, as it is actually located at the top of the rapid and several metres away from the main flow. At those levels, there was no noticeable flow pulling you towards it from the main chute, and fairly placid water directly above it.

In order for the accident to happen, the deceased had to drift/ paddle directly onto the spot and then capsize. We can only speculate as to how this occurred.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:03 am

Gary F wrote:It always angers me when the media has to sensationalise an already tragic story.
To be fair, I think the reports of high water were due to lack of understanding of the river environment, rather than sensationalism.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Westy

Post by Westy » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:58 am

Ben and I were staying in Roy Bridge last week. Our group was shocked and deeply saddened when we heard this news on Friday evening. Some of us were going to paddle the Gorge that day, but decided to put in below the Gorge as it was our last day and we were tired.

Our sympathy and thoughts to this person's family and his friends.

Franco Ferrero

Tragic News

Post by Franco Ferrero » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:19 am

I was at the Scottish Canoe Exhibition when the tragic news filtered through.
I'd just like to offer my condolences to the paddler's friends and family.

I'd also like to offer my support to those involved in trying to rescue him.
From what I've read I don't think anybody could have done any better or tried any harder.

Franco Ferrero
Franco Ferrero
www.pesdapress.com

AliceB

Post by AliceB » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:21 am

Sad news....

My thoughts go out to all involved and especially to his family and close friends. From what Mark said the only thing I can add is to applaud the efforts of those involved with the rescue and the manor in which it was conducted.

Chris W

Post by Chris W » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:25 pm

I was very sorry to hear the news. As a member of KCC, I know most of those involved and have spoken to some of them over the last couple of days. I've paddled with Steve a handful of times over the last 10 years or so. They've handled it remarkably well, but do bear in mind that it takes time and whilst people do what they have to do at the time, it can have an effect a few days later. Worth bearing mind when posting on here.

Chris W.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:58 pm

Just an update on this...I thought it was worth sharing, as it seems to me to be a model of 'good practice' in dealing with difficult events.

In the weeks since Steve's death, KCC have carried out a number of actions, some of which I will outline here. They have been in contact with relatives of the deceased. They have also been working on collating a full report of the event in order to submit to relevant authorities. Next Wednesday members and friends of KCC will attend the funeral and pay their respects.

KCC have continued to impress me with their professional and supportive approach to dealing with this tragedy.

Please pm me if you need details of the funeral.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

janet pullinger

Steve Pullinger

Post by janet pullinger » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:30 pm

Hello all of you canoe enthusiasts

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. I found this site by accident just now. Steve loved canoeing - so keep it up.

His funeral is at 2pm on Wednesday 15th, at St John The Baptist church in Grove near Wantage, Oxford if you can make it.

Thanks to all of you were there and who helped that day in whatever way possible, we really appreciate that so many people worked together to do their best for our Steve.

Love

Janet and all Steve's kids, Richard, Grace and Rob

hodgkins

Funeral Arrangements

Post by hodgkins » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:00 pm

I received this message from Stuart this evening:
Steve's family have requested that, in line with their, and probably Steve's wishes, the occasion is to be a celebration of his life rather than a memorial.
So, no black ties, only happy gear.
Dave

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:33 pm

Steve's funeral today.

There was a big turn-out from KCC. It was a genuine pleasure to get together for a few drinks with all those who were present on the Roy. They are good people.

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”