New Surf boat manufacturer^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Pete C.

New Surf boat manufacturer^

Post by Pete C. » Wed May 10, 2006 7:10 pm

Just thought I'd post up the links to a new boat from a new player on the market. A good friend of mine, Nathan Eades, has been sanding furiously for the last couple of months, putting together the DBX Surf Fusion. DBX have made polo boats for donkey's years but Dave wanted to put out a surf range. He needed someone who knows what works and what doesn't so teamed up with Nathan (Yellow Boy) for the design.

Blatant plug, I know, but I know how buzzing Nath's been since he got his new toy out on the water in Mundaka last week and thought I'd share the love.

P.

Helen M

Post by Helen M » Wed May 10, 2006 7:57 pm

Surf is scary! In a seaboat! Convince me otherwise!

H -x

Why would I want a surf boat? Met up with scottish surf champion - Jock? at St Maws last weekend. Looked mental! Waves can be very BIG!

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed May 10, 2006 10:30 pm

I'm starting to realise that I am at the beach more often than at rivers these days and have started thinking about getting a surf boat.

Once you get over your fear and get the hang of surfing you will find it's great fun, but the boat makes a huge difference. I have 2 playboats, both surf OK, but the Glide is definitely better in the surf than the Session+. Both need quite a late take off on a steep wave due to their weight and lack of displacement speed and could do with that little bit extra precision to the handling that you get from a surf boat.

At Belhaven the other day I was only able to catch some nice sized waves (overhead) very late on and get some short but nice runs in my glide. I could see that there was another peak further out and a few hundred yards north that was peeling really consistently, but was nowhere near as steep. With the Glide it wasn't worth checking out, with something like a Screamer (which is what Jock Young paddles) which is longer and lighter in weight, it would have been worthwhile paddling over and checking out (I'm not saying it would definitely have gone, the shape was pretty poor despite the nice peel).

Given that once in a while the surf will trash you it is essential to use a boat that turns fast, in which you are tightly wedged, and which you can reliably roll (over and over again). You will probably find that this doesn't describe any touring sea kayaks and as I've explained there are better boats for it than polythene playboats even though they fit the bill in many respects.

Now I am not yet an expert on surf boats, but doesn't that DBX Fusion have a lot of volume in the stern? I've always favoured boats with less volume that squat into the wave face - am I doing it all wrong?

JIM

Fast Pat

Post by Fast Pat » Wed May 10, 2006 11:01 pm

The back end is very performance ski shape - it also allows you both to get out through the big stuff and will also turn like a ski - off its tail.

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed May 10, 2006 11:13 pm

Of course, I'm probably more of an 'international' style surfer than a 'high performance' surfer, but maybe not. I'll need to do some more research into my own style before choosing a boat :-(

Someone recap the size for international boats (got too many numbers in my head already)?

JIM

Yakingmad
Location: Somewhere on the water (if there is any and I'm not working)

Post by Yakingmad » Thu May 11, 2006 12:42 am

Having seen the boat during it's development stage and build it is a very nice piece of kit, Dave Brown has been making polo boats for years and to a very high quaility, I have no reason to doubt that this boat will be a real winner.

You will have to try one out Jim ;)
Swimming the way forward?

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Thu May 11, 2006 10:09 am

Jim wrote:Now I am not yet an expert on surf boats, but doesn't that DBX Fusion have a lot of volume in the stern? I've always favoured boats with less volume that squat into the wave face - am I doing it all wrong?
Speaking to nathan about his boat at the St Ives Bay Contest (held at Gedrevy) he mentioned that he had put a lot of thought into the tail and wanted this hige volume tail to give him mre push from the wave. He was a little gutted it seemed though as he came up with the idea of doing this and set about designing his boat when the majority of surf boats had low volume tails but unfortunatly this years new models all seem to be sporting high volume tails (Reflex, Neutron, Slingshot, Rush etc.).
Jim wrote:Someone recap the size for international boats (got too many numbers in my head already)?
International class boats must be 3m with completely convex hulls (no flat spots, concaves, weird shape bits, fins etc.)

Denzil

Bertie..

Post by Bertie.. » Thu May 11, 2006 1:45 pm

StoneWeasel wrote:
Jim wrote: He was a little gutted it seemed though as he came up with the idea of doing this and set about designing his boat when the majority of surf boats had low volume tails but unfortunatly this years new models all seem to be sporting high volume tails (Reflex, Neutron, Slingshot, Rush etc.).
Que copyright arguement.... ;-)

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Thu May 11, 2006 2:11 pm

Bertie.. wrote:
StoneWeasel wrote:
Jim wrote: He was a little gutted it seemed though as he came up with the idea of doing this and set about designing his boat when the majority of surf boats had low volume tails but unfortunatly this years new models all seem to be sporting high volume tails (Reflex, Neutron, Slingshot, Rush etc.).
Que copyright arguement.... ;-)
Obviously not a follower of the Vince Shay Vs. Malcolm Pearcy / Reaction Vs. Neutron Debates (read. Arguments / Rows) I think this has proven that two manufacturers can make two very similar boats with little fear of being taken to court (you get the feeling if it could have gone legal it would have gone legal).

Besides the large volume tail is not a new idea, just one that has resurfaced.

What was amusing to see was how similar the Fusion and Rush looked considering the creators of each boat had never seen the other untill they were side by side Where they looked a little like two different takes on the same idea.

Denzil

surfkayaks.com

boat similarities

Post by surfkayaks.com » Thu May 11, 2006 2:22 pm

The Neutron bears very little resemblance to the Twist, and the Fusion is even further away from the Rush.
Similar concepts maybe, similar looks and performance, No Way! in either case.

StoneWeasel

Re: boat similarities

Post by StoneWeasel » Thu May 11, 2006 2:35 pm

surfkayaks.com wrote:The Neutron bears very little resemblance to the Twist, and the Fusion is even further away from the Rush.
Similar concepts maybe, similar looks and performance, No Way! in either case.
They are differen boats they do allegadly handle quite differently but come now, the debate got hot (although nice a calm from your side) and if vince felt he successfully could have gone legal I dear say he would (whether that sort of behaviour is condoneable is another debate). I would also say while they are different boats they bare more simlarity say than the fusion does to the slingshot / neutron / reaction etc. which is what bought up the whole copyright issue in the first place.

All the surf boats out there borrow ideas from each other, none are close enough to be considered the same or even direct copies ;^P

Denzil

Bertie..

Post by Bertie.. » Thu May 11, 2006 2:44 pm

StoneWeasel wrote:
Obviously not a follower of the Vince Shay Vs. Malcolm Pearcy / Reaction Vs. Neutron Debates (read. Arguments / Rows)
Correct! I can't be ars*d keeping up with it all - besides my Beach Beat mini-mal looks a lot like my mates Gulfstream mini-mal, and my fun board looks a lot like an Ocean Magic funboard. Maybe there's a reason for it.. e.g. solution design convergence??

A lot of the newer kayaks seem to share a lot of design features with my old pro-design waveski, but I dare say these ideas were borrowed from others like Christo.

Mike Marshall

Rear Volume

Post by Mike Marshall » Fri May 12, 2006 12:35 pm

The rear volume is critical for easy paddle outs, easy take offs and preventing backward looping in big surf (paddle outs). It should also be related to your size/weight. The boat will ramp up through the broken wave (Soup) very nicely with little tendency to backflip.
Most Ski's have this configuration, but to a lesser degree.
Early boats like the Valley Mocassin were awful at paddling out due to the zero volume around the stern. You always ended up inverted and pointing back to shore!!! But that is retro surfin' :-)

MikeM

Bertie..

Post by Bertie.. » Fri May 12, 2006 12:49 pm

I'm certainly keen to try out a slightly more 'modern' design of surf kayak in the near future, with a view to upgrading from my mega marauder to something that more closely performs to a wave-ski.

Has anyone got demo boats of the DBX or the newer mega boats, and if so where are they/how do I get to have a go??

surfkayaks.com

Demo Boats

Post by surfkayaks.com » Fri May 12, 2006 12:58 pm

We have demo boats in various locations around the S.West
Give me a call and we can sort something out.

Malcolm

Darryl

Post by Darryl » Fri May 12, 2006 1:28 pm

I'm thinking of getting a surf boat at the moment, can anyone give a brief run down of what is on the market? I have seen the mega stuff and Nathan Eades thing (which to the untrained eye looks pretty good). What else it there about that I should consider looking at before buying something?

Cheers,
Darryl

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Mon May 15, 2006 10:56 am

Darryl wrote:I'm thinking of getting a surf boat at the moment, can anyone give a brief run down of what is on the market? I have seen the mega stuff and Nathan Eades thing (which to the untrained eye looks pretty good). What else it there about that I should consider looking at before buying something?

Cheers,
Darryl
Being as completey unbiased as I can, these might be worth a look.

The current range from Mega (I am loving my Neutron)
The Rush From Valley
Future Kayaks
Murkey Waters
And of course this new thing by Yellow boy

Denzil[/url]