carrying water?^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Gavin74

carrying water?^

Post by Gavin74 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:00 pm

How do people carry water, when on multi day trips?

Planning on an Easter break that could stretch to 3nights/4nights depending on the weather.

Apparently I need to allow for 3 litres per day, which means starting the trip with up to 12 litres (6 x2litre bottles).

How do people carry that much water around with them? I’ve been using a 3 litre bladder from a wine box, which fits nicely behind my seat but guess the rest will have to go in the hatches, which will mean less room for the booze.

I’ve heard of people packing a water bladder (10 litres) in the cock pit under their knees, sounds like a great us of space. But is this safe, god know what affect it would have on an attempt to roll?

Any ideas, tips, advice?

Thanks

Gavin

Mark McK

Post by Mark McK » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:11 pm

Hi Gavin

Where are you headed to?

I've always just collected water from burns etc., or even asked locals to fill up water bottles.

By using this method I've never had to carry anymore than about 4lts in the boat, I guess it depends on where your going though as this is not always an option.

Sparky McK

Gavin74

Post by Gavin74 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:24 pm

Where are you headed to?
All depends on weather, but it’ll be in North West Wales somewhere (don’t fancy a car journey north with Easter traffic). Likely to be Trefor to Abersoch or a circumnav of Anglesey.

Not sure if I fancy chancing any water found on route.

Pelagic

Post by Pelagic » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:27 pm

Bottled water from Asda, 5 lts and it comes with a nice carrying handle, 99p if you buy the cheap stuff, fits nicely in front of the footrests.
Most importantly doesnt "taste" the water and you can throw it away after the trip, If Im going to a desert island * I sometimes carry another between my legs.
*desert island, somewhere that has peaty brown water with a diesel type scumm on top that Geoff swears makes great tea.

Phil

Gavin74

Post by Gavin74 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:40 pm

Thanks Phil,
carry another between my legs.
I do like the idea of this as keeps the hatches free for more imprtant things like....booze. Any safety issues such as, bladder moving around, issues with wet exits, rolling??

Cheers

sub5rider

Post by sub5rider » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:18 pm

The first week long trip I did I took 2x 5ltr bottles carried inside the hull, plus 3ltr bladder on deck. This was OTT, I decided, and subsequently I've taken 1x5ltr bottle & 3 ltr bladder.
The bottled water is "saved" for drinking on the water and for brews where the locally obtainable water may be tainted, but otherwise OK for cooking with. Our trips sometimes nclude a certain amount of rainfall (as the www is geneally not in the vicinity) - easily collected from the flysheet run-off points.
I have never purified collected water, but then frequent swims at HPP must must have given me some measure of immunity....
Liquid loss may be compensated for by the consumption of beer, but only up to a point, I presume, else you'll get more dehydrated. I no longer carrry beer, but an alcohol concentrate that originates on Islay - tho I believe others do exist....

Pelagic

Post by Pelagic » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:53 pm

I do like the idea of this as keeps the hatches free for more imprtant things like....booze. Any safety issues such as, bladder moving around, issues with wet exits, rolling??
As the bottles are square they sit flat, a small lashing to a seat side or somesuch secures and a little bit of air inside ensures they float. As they are also ridged it would be perfect for a bungee retainer. I have often thought of glassing a couple of eyes on the front bulkhead to secure said cheepo bottles but to be honest, Im too lazy. I have done a couple of rescues with people carrying water as described (unsecured) and you basically fish it out of the drink and pop it back in the boat. I dont tend to swim or roll very often, if you can persuade Geoff to tell the story of the best day of his life you may find out when the last time was! However I have rolled to cool off with an inordinate amount of crap stuffed in the cockpit and it seems to finish up back where it started with a bit of undignified wriggling about.
By far the worst way I ever tried to carry water was in a 7 lt bladder type carrier in the cockpit, that felt like I was paddling a flooded boat all day, horrible! Small bladder bags are better, my son likes one carried in his PFD (its a Coast) with a "sucky tube" for re-hydration on the move.
Untill the invention of de-hydrated beer Nigels suggestion of Alcohol concentrate holds a lot of water, well a splash anyway.

Phil

Rockpool

Water

Post by Rockpool » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:03 am

Tie in the blader or bladers behind or to the rear sides of your seat. Carry 2 days worth / half the water with you, stop at a shop and refill with bottled water. Don't chill your kidneys with the water bags!

Gavin74

Post by Gavin74 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:38 pm

Thanks for all the ideas.

I reckon I can get another wine blader behind the seat, which will add up to 6 liters behind the seat. Plus it’ll gives me a good excuse to hit the red wine this weekend.

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:21 pm

Personally I carry a huge range of small water bottles. My top tips are:
- Forget about cycle bottles, the valves can leak a bit especially if squeezed in a tank or under deck bungees - I do sometimes carry one on deck because it's easy to use but they are too bulky for this really.
- Platypus and similar bladders fit well under the deck bungees but unless you have the hose attached they are a nightmare to drink out of, and the hose can do all sorts of annoying stuff...
- My best bottle for on deck is a lexan one that is roughly hip flask or canteen shaped so quite flat. It has a smoky finish so no-one else ever wants to steal my water either :)

For water conservation limit washing to cleaning your teeth, or use an alchohol based cleanser that works without water (never found it in the shops here, used it in the US and in portaloos). If you can stand the cold water you can get your hands really clean by rubbing them with handfuls of sand in the sea - swarfega with polyballs is an expensive imitation! Do your washing up in sea water, in the sea is acceptable but not in streams unless below high water mark. Sea water can also be used for cooking to an extent, for example where you might normally add salt before cooking rice or pasta - you will want to find the cleanest looking stuff you can obviously.

In Scotland I also top up from streams or public taps or wherever (sometimes pubs will fill you up, could grab a pint while you wait!), not sure that I fancy Welsh stream water as much because it does seem slightly more densely populated, but the thing to remember is that the remote scottish watercourses have probably been well enough polluted by un-educated kayakers, sailors, hillwalkers etc. in the past - the more remote a spot, the more visits it seems to get!

JIM

Jon Wood

Dry wash

Post by Jon Wood » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:02 pm

Jim,
do you mean something like this, from lifeventure

you can get it from F&Tamong others

I keep a bottle with my cooking kit. It certainly freshens hands and saves on water.

Zoe Newsam

Post by Zoe Newsam » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:15 pm

I have a 10 litre Ortlieb water bag, which lies flat on the bottom of my day hatch, so keeping the weight low & central.

andreadawn

Post by andreadawn » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:22 pm

I've used Ortlieb bags for years, usually the 2 litre size. I have a few which I tuck away in any odd spaces I can find. I've never had one leak yet.

Andrea.

Jim

Re: Dry wash

Post by Jim » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:47 pm

Jon Wood wrote:Jim,
do you mean something like this, from lifeventure

you can get it from F&Tamong others

I keep a bottle with my cooking kit. It certainly freshens hands and saves on water.
That looks exactly like what I meant! I do have to admit I haven't tried very hard to find it :)

JIM