Paddling Partners Southern England, South Wales and West Country

Hook up with other paddlers
stuntbat

Paddling Partners Southern England, South Wales and West Country

Post by stuntbat » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:46 pm

Hi All,

Newbie to the forum here.

Just back to Kayaking following a few years out of the loop.

I am based in Aldershot and am looking for people to hook up with for evening paddles and the odd weekend excursion.

I am 42 and I would say an intermediate paddler. Mainly surf but some moving water.

I have the luxury of being in a sales role covering West of Surrey all the way to Lands End, The M4 Corridor and South and Mid Wales.

I plan my own diary so can be flexible to a certain extent to work in an area during the morning and afternoon and meet for a Paddle Mid Afternoon into the evening.

Am happy to meet up / pick up / whatever works for you?

I paddle a Karnali and am looking to build up white water experience as I go along.

Feel free to message me or drop me an e-mail stuntbat@gmail.com
Cheers

Rich

StillNewish

Re: Paddling Partners Southern England, South Wales and West Country

Post by StillNewish » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:20 pm

Hi Rich,

A good start would be to check out your local canoe club, who will have groups out paddling, hopefully.

If that doesn't appeal, try the Lee Valley white water center (see on here for threads to do with this).

Whitewater again, but for a slightly more mellow atmosphere (and no need to do an assessment first) there's a similar artificial course in Cardiff.

Once the Autumn starts, the Thames will come back up, and the weirs like Hurley etc etc will come back in.

And then of course there are the rivers...! Many many good options available in the South West, North and South wales, Northern England, Scotland etc etc.

I'm always happy to introduce people to any of the above, and am frequently at Lee Valley at this time of the year. Give me a shout if that's any help, and we can come up with a plan.

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:49 pm

Check out Blackwater Valley Canoe club:
http://bvcc.org.uk/
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

stuntbat

Post by stuntbat » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:32 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions and pointers, some really useful info to get things started.

stillnewish,

Thanks for the offer of maybe planning a few bits. I am keen on that idea. I have a holiday for a couple of weeks coming up so I will drop you a PM when I get back and the dust has settled a bit.

I am keen on exploring the weirs on the Thames as this is pretty local. Have been looking at the LV and CIWW websites a bit that seems of interest to me as well. It'll get me back into the swing of things in a bit more of a controlled manner I guess.
Cheers

Rich