New to canoeing

Hook up with other paddlers
Lewis John Pugh

New to canoeing

Post by Lewis John Pugh » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:19 pm

I need advice about starting canoeing. I want to tour various rivers, but not sure where to start and train. Any advice would be good. I'm a runner, but looking forward to building upper body strength. Ambition to canoe the full length of the Loire. I want to start on the Nidd , Ouse and Humber.
I'm awaiting advice. Perhaps we should start on which kind of vessel to go for.
Lewis John.

tape34

Re: New to canoeing

Post by tape34 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:46 am

No don't even think about what to buy - join a local club and go paddling with them.
Pete Ball

DaveB

Post by DaveB » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:03 am

As stated above your best advice is to join your local club and try out lots of types of boats (canoe or kayak as the primary distinction. Then: pure bred flat water racer? sea kayak for speed and lots of cargo space? estuary boat? general purpose for a bit of white water as well? and so on. When you know what sort of boat you want you can think about which make/model/size will suit you.

Lewis John Pugh

Post by Lewis John Pugh » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:58 pm

tape34 wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:46 am
No don't even think about what to buy - join a local club and go paddling with them.
Pete Ball
Thanks for the advice about joining a club. Any suggestions which one. I now live in Tockwith.
Lewis John

andyinthorne

Post by andyinthorne » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:22 am

hi, I'm just starting out and live in pocklington if you'd like to have a day out (assuming you have access to a kayak).

I paddled a section of the Ouse last week in my valley etain. it was fine on the river.

PM me if you'd like to hook up.

Cheers. Andy.

nigelhatton

Post by nigelhatton » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:21 pm

Hi Lewis, I have paddled many rivers in the south of France Inc some of the Loire, Rhone and the whole of the French Mediterranean coast and I would never do it in anything less than a quick sea kayak. But first like all the others say, join a club a try different boats and learn how to not capsize and acquire paddling skills. To paddle the whole Loire will take 2 weeks to roughly