Kayaking the canals of England

Hook up with other paddlers
geoffrose

Kayaking the canals of England

Post by geoffrose » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:42 am

Two Canadians: I and my adult son, are booked to spend May 14 - June 18 paddling England's inland waterways with our folding kayaks, camping along the way. I am looking for suggestions, advice and even company or a place to stay - anything that can make the trip more interesting or affordable.

PlymouthDamo

Re: Kayaking the canals of England

Post by PlymouthDamo » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:23 pm

I used to keep an inflatable kayak in the boot of my car and use inland waterways when I was travelling the country with work. I haven't got much advice for you other than, at that time, membership of the British Canoe Union would give you free access to paddle on the majority of inland waterways. (I did once have a chap from British Waterways check my BCU membership.) I've since read of several twists and turns in this arrangement and I'm not sure what the current situation is. You've also got the right to paddle on any tidal waterways. I've seen a fair few people wild camping alongside canals, but this has usually been in well-hidden areas, far from population centres - it's not allowed but you'll get away with it if you're discrete. (Afraid I can't help with accommodation - I'm a long way from any canals.)

If the weather's nice, then paddling from pub to pub isn't a bad way of passing the time, and you get to see a scenic side to cities that you otherwise wouldn't - Birmingham in particular. I'm sorting out a 3-piece sectional sea kayak to fit in my car, and if one of my work trips coincided, I'd be happy to join you for a stint.

ali

Post by ali » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:24 pm

Does it need to be canals or would you consider rivers like the Wye, Severn or Thames which all make good easy water expeditions?

geoffrose

Post by geoffrose » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:10 pm

Yes, rivers too - just want to avoid white water because of the style of boat, or fighting strong currents upstream. We know we are in for some portaging, with all the locks. I expect we will head up the Thames from west London to Oxford at the beginning of our trip - but on the other hand, we might want to bus further away from London before the bother of assembling.

Slime

Post by Slime » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:41 pm

Suggest you buy the Pub Paddles guidebook. Look it up on Amazon UK or on the Rivers publishing website.