Sea kayaking paddle buddies wanted Kent.

Hook up with other paddlers
chemicalali

Post by chemicalali » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:11 pm

Any one fancy going for a paddle somewhere around Kent tomorow? Or if not tomorow some time soon. I was thinking Hythe / Sandgate area but willing to travel further.

Alex

T4Mac

Re: Sea kayaking paddle buddies wanted Kent.

Post by T4Mac » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:03 pm

I'm in thanet currently on the hunt for a touring/sea kayak (sit in). Be happy to catch up when I have one.

If anyone around the kent coast has a PH Delphin 155, Tahe Reval HV, Valley Aquanaught HV or Tsunami 145 I could have a test drive in it would be much appreciated. For info my background is Perception Carolina 14 before fishing a Perception Triumph the last couple of years.

The boats mentioned above are what I think might fit me after some research. I am 5' 10" 17stone so I you have something I have not considered I would be open to suggestions. Many Thanks Mac

chemicalali

Post by chemicalali » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:39 am

sounds like we're coming from the same place. I've been mad about kayak fishing of a sit on top for the last 10 years, but got the bug for proper sea kayaking fairly recently, it's much more fun when the fishing's rubbish.

I've done a bit and learned the basic rescues etc, I did the 3* sea training with a club but never fancied paying for an assessment. Just got a proper sea kayak (rockpool alaw Bach) and love paddling it, but don't dare do any of the fun stuff in it because I'm by myself and my roll isn't reliable enough that I dare take any risks unaccompanied.

If you fancy meeting up for a mess about session / swapping kayaks and trying out what we can get away with in them I'm up for it. I'm the same height as you but 11 stone, and my kayak sits high in the water (handles fine tho) I reckon it would handle even better with some ballast or a heavier paddler, so might be a kayak that should be on your list of ones to try.

Sickboy

Post by Sickboy » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:56 pm

Hi Guys, I'm pretty local and am looking to find people to paddle the salt with, most of my paddling away from the rivers has been solo around the medway estuary recently and I seem to be in the same position, looking to buddy up for some more commiting paddling.
Able to paddle week days as well as weekends given enough warning.
Rum and coke, best served by the pint.

T4Mac

Post by T4Mac » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:17 pm

Hello chemicalali, Sickboy. Be good to catch up. Just found Seapoint Canoe Centre in Folkestone and South East Kayakers today on facebook. So hope to get some formal training as soon as a find a Kayak. Love the look of your Rockpool but I'm after a plastic kayak that I can abuse and leave parked up without worrying about it disappearing too much. I'm also after a decent sized cockpit as I'm 56 and had both hips replaced. Hence the above makes of kayak.

Sickboy

Post by Sickboy » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:58 pm

I'm spending most of my time in a P&H Capella 166 rm, plenty of space, very comfortable for me at 6'1 and 110kg, not sure I'd want to paddle it in a blow unloaded if I was under 100 though.
Rum and coke, best served by the pint.

jeremyduncombe14

Post by jeremyduncombe14 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:40 pm

T4Mac wrote:Hello chemicalali, Sickboy. Be good to catch up. Just found Seapoint Canoe Centre in Folkestone and South East Kayakers today on facebook. So hope to get some formal training as soon as a find a Kayak. Love the look of your Rockpool but I'm after a plastic kayak that I can abuse and leave parked up without worrying about it disappearing too much. I'm also after a decent sized cockpit as I'm 56 and had both hips replaced. Hence the above makes of kayak.
I can recommend South East Kayaking - good coaching and a nice bunch of people to paddle with. They can supply kayaks and paddling kit for coaching sessions, so no need to buy a boat in a hurry.

T4Mac

Post by T4Mac » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:10 pm

Thanks Jeremy. Think the guys name is Rob. Might even have a couple of boats I can try. I'll get in touch with him.

T4Mac

Post by T4Mac » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:32 am

Jeremy, cheers for the heads up. Have my first coaching session with Rob this Thursday. In my own boat :-)

Really struggling to find paddle buddies in this area so have set up this FB page to try and widen the pool.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1842697 ... 4/?fref=nf

jeremyduncombe14

Post by jeremyduncombe14 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:59 pm

Let me know how you get on with Rob - there is a good weather forecast for Thursday. There are quite a few sea paddlers around Kent and East Sussex, many of us do not belong to a club and just paddle with friends. Are you restricted to paddling around Thanet, or can you travel further for day trips ? Rob runs group coaching sessions and day trips on Saturdays, so maybe I will bump into you soon, once you have mastered the basic skills ( shouldn't take long ! ).

T4Mac

Post by T4Mac » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:24 pm

Jeremy - Had a couple of one to one sessions with Rob now and very pleased with how things are going. Got another booked for next week.

I sort of restrict myself to paddling around thanet due to cost of travel and taking advantage of weather windows at short notice (Need dollar for my French and Scotland trips).

Hope to see you at one of Robs group sessions once I get some flying hours under my belt.