French paddler in Scotland

Hook up with other paddlers
frenshiva

French paddler in Scotland

Post by frenshiva » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:21 pm

Hello,

First, I introduce myself because it's my first post on this forum : Yohan, 20 years old, I do kayak since 8 years, I live in Corrèze (France), I do whitewater as more as I can, and freestyle/slalom when I'm not on a river. I paddle in a Shiva (Small size), Pyranha (if somebody want informations about)

I post on this forum because I would like to do woofing in Scotland to discover life in Scotland, and also to discover Scotland's rivers (and to improve my english...)
So my questions are : is there any Padllers in Scotland who are interesting on received a "woofer" ? (For people who don't know what is woofing : http://www.wwoof.org.uk/)
If not, is there paddlers who are interesting on make me discover your rivers during my spare time when I'll be in Scotland ? (I would like to go on Fort William's region... near river Etive)

What is the best month to find good water levels in Scotland ?

Thank you in advance,

Yohan

banzer

Re: French paddler in Scotland

Post by banzer » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:26 am

Hi Yohan

Welcome to the forum.

I can't help you with 'woofing' I'm afraid. But there is likely to be paddling in Scotland any time from now onwards. November is usually pretty wet. Dec-Feb are pretty cold and there may be snow rather than water in the rivers, drysuit is a must if you want to paddle! March / April are often good and sometimes there is snowmelt. There are usually a few boaters around that would be happy to show you some rivers. The Etive as you say is one of the best and flows quite often, you can get down it quite low if needed.

Anywhere around Fort william or the Central Highlands would be a good base. I remember there was a French chap a few years ago that worked in the Glen Nevis Youth Hostel, he wasn't a boater though (shame, because the Nevis is a great river!).

Rich.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:47 am

XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

frenshiva

Post by frenshiva » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:54 pm

Hi,

Thank you very much for your answers,

I think I will come in november and use the website "woof.org.uk". I will send a message on this forum when I'll be in Scotland, to meet local paddlers !

See you, maybe soon