Falls of Lora sea kayaking

Hook up with other paddlers
f.a.miller

Falls of Lora sea kayaking

Post by f.a.miller » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:39 pm

Looking for paddle buddys comfortable paddling at the falls weekends evenings. I am based in Helensburgh.

Daker

Re: Falls of Lora sea kayaking

Post by Daker » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:44 pm

Not evenings but could do the odd weekend.
If you have any dates in mind PM me as I can probably get a few others interested.

Kayaks'N'Beer

Post by Kayaks'N'Beer » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:10 pm

I'm trying to get my team mobilised for a Saturday session on 21st september. 3.4 meter range, ebb starts doing it's thing about 11:00. Gimme a shout if either of you fancy it. The more the merrier! You thinking about hitting it in the slipper, Richard?

Daker

Post by Daker » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:36 pm

SEPTEMBER ??? Nothing like planning ahead eh ?
Remind me nearer the time as Im always game for a trip up there but - - - - - where was my invite last weekend eh ?!!
Ive only ever paddled it in my Explorer so a play in the Delphin may be a very different experience.

Kayaks'N'Beer

Post by Kayaks'N'Beer » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:27 pm

Daker wrote:SEPTEMBER ??? Nothing like planning ahead eh ?
Remind me nearer the time as Im always game for a trip up there but - - - - - where was my invite last weekend eh ?!!
Ive only ever paddled it in my Explorer so a play in the Delphin may be a very different experience.
Looking for half decent spring ranges on a weekend tends to throw up dates so far in the future as to fall into Doctor Who's territory. Sorry about last weekend, mate, to be honest I tend to think of you and Kev as surfers, so it wouldn't even have crossed my mind. Won't make the same mistake twice!

I can vouch for the Delphin opening up options that normal boats don't allow for but that comes with the caveat that I'm still finding my feet on water like that. Staying upright was easy enough but manoeuvring and going where I want, rather than where the flow wants to chuck me is still a bit hit and miss.

Daker

Post by Daker » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:32 pm

OK cool.
Meant to say, having been a bit too 'up close and personal' before, I'd imagine that North bridge stancion on the flood is a bit less intimidating in a plastic boat too !! ;o))

Kayaks'N'Beer

Post by Kayaks'N'Beer » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:33 pm

Wouldn't go near it in composite. My glass boat is strictly for touring. The north chute I've only done at the start of the flood tide and the impression I got was that it was pretty much a one trick pony. Maybe two tricks if there's a surfable wave when the flow is full bore but the surgery end is party central. Star of the whole show for me. A front wave that you have to work for, albeit not a very big one and then some big whirlpools at the far end of the eddyline opening up regular as clockwork. They were more aggressive than anything I got hit with in the north eddy on the ebb, although it was dying down by the time I got out there and maybe I was just lucky into the bargain.

I'm really looking forward to getting stuck into this place, the same way I've been getting stuck into surfing the last couple of years, now that I've got a good feel for where all the bits and pieces are. The only thing that pisses me off is that (according to Tony hammock's site at least) it only really happens occasionally when I'm able to get up there, so it'll probably take me much longer to get the hang of it when I'm only really getting 3 or 4 chances a year. The good thing is I can't see me getting bored of surfing any time soon and there's usually enough of that kind of action available to keep my cravings for whitewater at a manageable level.

Return to “Paddling Partners”