Club payments

Hook up with other paddlers
Demondave

Club payments

Post by Demondave »

So I’ve sat on this question for a while as I know it can be a bit of a contentious topic.

The question is about club membership payments.
I fully understand that if you are receiving training or using a clubs piece of equipment, your membership goes into the upkeep of this.

Where I get a bit lost is, what happens if I have my own gear and turn up for a club night?

What am I actually paying for if I have all the gear and I’m not receiving any training?

I already pay my British canoeing membership so this club payment confuses me.

Please don’t take this as a jab at clubs, I wish to be enlightened. To date I’ve not seen any club website which explains what it’s used for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Bolton

Re: Club payments

Post by Chris Bolton »

Possibly: running club website, buying club gear either for members to borrow or things like first aid kits or rescue kit for club trips, subsidising volunteers to get coaching qualifications, renting somewhere to store club equipment? If there are club events like pool sessions, they may not always cover their own costs every week. Maybe expenses for club officials like postage and phone calls, attend regional BC meetings to find out what's going on, even meeting rooms for club AGM etc, but now most stuff is online that may not be the case.

Demondave

Post by Demondave »

Thanks Chris. That makes sense.

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

just to add that, assuming your club knows you are an individual member of BC, your club membership fee is retained in full by your club. I.e.there is no capitation fee payable by your club in respect of BC members on its renewal of affiliation each year.

twopigs

Post by twopigs »

Dare I say this?? To make friends with young paddlers who will play their part in rescuing you as you get older and your skills wane! (Well works for me!)
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

camanche73

Post by camanche73 »

The club I am part of, the biggest component of its costs is insurance.
All club events are covered by the clubs insurance policy. This is obviously paid for from the member fees.

Demondave

Post by Demondave »

Thank you everyone for your comments - all makes complete sense.
As I said at the start it wasn’t meant as a jab at clubs - just so I can fully understand and appreciate the value I’m getting.

Hopefully look forward to joining a club soon (ish - given our current conditions).

Safe boating everyone.

Thanks again.

Return to “Paddling Partners”