Shrewsbury weir

Rest of the world
siwiles

Shrewsbury weir

Post by siwiles » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:45 pm

Jut moved to the area, and went down to Shrewsbury today to check out the weir. Looked ok. Anyone paddled it at this sort of level. What happens at higher and lower flows. Looked a little sticky on the far side, but not too bad....

Photos posted on blog linked below.

http://foreignwaters.blogspot.com

GaryM

Post by GaryM » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:26 pm

In flood it looks something like this. After you please, I'm portaging!
There have been a few deaths over the years on this weir, but I don't recall any of them being paddling related.
Gary Mascall

wetnobby

Post by wetnobby » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:05 pm

Hmmmm
OK....at the right level, lethal at the wrong ones be warned...!!

It qiuckly becomes a pit you will not get out of....no paddling fatalities yet but some very close calls..
There was Steve B's 12 minute epic on You Tube at one time, it may still be there. It was not pretty......he was very lucky!!

Rescue is very difficult...
Chris

wezzzy

Post by wezzzy » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:14 pm

I've never paddled it and probably never will, I was 1st told to keep away from it in the 90s and still hear it today

paul sab

Post by paul sab » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:58 pm

I've paddled it at the levels in your photos but at 3/4 breaking its more hard work than fun. My favourite low level is at 1/3 or 1/4 breaking when a good fun session can be had. Its only a couple of inches deep but the incoming water is so fast that the boat planes up making spins effortless.

I quickly rephotographed some old prints, sorry about the quality:

High levels are really good fun, the water speed is a bit slow but it is nice to surf a stable green wave in this country. The hole is great for loops but it typewriters to surfers left. If it looks like you'll get out surfers left and be able to surf off right then the hole will flush you upside down in the middle.

Photo below shows levels slightly too high:

Shropshire has its fair share of esoteria however there is no real low water option, all the weirs work at times when your eyes will be fixed firmly on wales.

Paul

trickywhu

Post by trickywhu » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:24 am

wow. how do you get there? Assuming ive just come in on the Baschurch road.

jonnyhiam

Post by jonnyhiam » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:25 pm

I live down the road from this weir, and theres good parking on either side. But one parking spot is further away, and less safe as it is a main route home from town. Ive only paddled it when low and not surfable, but I have seen it good a fair few times. It is very commonly fished and there actually used to be a good wave from the salmon shoot on river right, (even in summer flows) but they changed it and now it is flat.
The better parking is directly above the weir in the picture. The other is 100 yards south, at the end of the playing fields. Work out a route for yourself, as my directions would make no sense to non locals. click aerial to see the weir
http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=SY2+5D ... |SY2%205DZ

siwiles

Post by siwiles » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:51 pm

Yeah, looked like there was about three spaces river left at the weir. Perfect to watch your car whilst on the river.

I also did note a few fishermen there the day I took the pictures.
Will let you know when we head down there

jonnyhiam

Post by jonnyhiam » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:05 am

Yeah definately, it's ridiculous I havent been down there yet!

Return to “Everywhere else”