River Wye camping

Rest of the world
dougoutcanoe

River Wye camping

Post by dougoutcanoe » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:03 pm

Hello,

I've just completed a short trip with a school group. We camped at Lucksall (great campsite and my 5th or 6th camp there, always welcomed, friendly and helpful). Tressock farm, Hoarwithy, basic but clean and cheap with lovely flat pitches.

Then we came to Benhall Farm. The portaloos - one was cleanish, one working but dried excrement and neglected with no lock, the third was derelict. The portaloo shower was OK.

The woman at this site greeted us with rudeness, demanding the money and pointing out that we should have been to her before erecting tents. The site was booked in advance.

She then charged £6 per head, insisting that the charge was high because of all the cleaning that had to be done when groups left rubbish all over the site. No discount for the 26 in our group. What a rip off!

My group left the site cleaner than when we arrived.

In addition there were containers near the loos that had contained hazardous agricultural chemicals.

The website suggests that all are welcomed by the friendly host.

When this site was cheap it was tolerable.

This woman clearly does not want canoe campers, my advice is keep clear.

andy g

Post by andy g » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:38 pm

My thoughts entirely.

I did a quick recce her for a Duke of Edinburgh silver expedition , and I was impressed with Luckshall and Welsh Bicknor , but I dismissed Benhall Farm as being totally unhygenic and very poorly maintained and run. Looks like I made the rigth decision.

Hoarwirthy was just a field in the winter, no tap , no loos , no shower, so I kind of dismissed it

Regards

Andy G
Meridian CC

Penny15

Benhall camping

Post by Penny15 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:30 pm

I would agree with both of you about this site. We went last year and decided to miss it this year making my D of E groups run between Hoerwithy to Biblins instead. Biblins is great for groups and when we had heavy rain at Easter were really helpful (unfortunately it is only for youth groups). Hoerwithy makes up for lack of facilities by being a fantastic spot to sit and watch the world go by on a sunny evening and is priced sensibly for the lack of facilities.

andy g

Post by andy g » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:24 pm

Hi Penny
Hoarwirthy to Biblins is 26 miles , that must have been some paddle for DoE students! Was it a Gold expedition?
I am keeping mileages down to 15 to 18 for Silver.
Regards
Andy

Penny15

D of E expeditions

Post by Penny15 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:03 am

Yes is was gold. We were really lucky and the river was up. They had 8 hours and no break time on their route cards- they rafted up (just holding each others boats) to eat - so even when not paddling the river was doing 5 miles an hour. With their paddling they were managing 8 miles an hour!

They did similar days on their actual expedition on the Spey when the river was not flowing so well.

Welsh bicknor might be a more suitable site for silver

Penny

boomer

camping site

Post by boomer » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:17 pm

I did the Wye cruse with the welsh scouts. 205 scouts paddled down from horwothey to ross on wye first day. We camped on the boating club field at ross. On the second day we paddled from ross to biblings approx 16 miles. We paddled with the bibling warden. She is lovely and i am sure she would accomadate you if you asked.

wezzzy

Post by wezzzy » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:30 am

If camping in Ross try the White Lion, just past the bridge AFTER the town, not suitable for big groups but very friendly people, right on the river and an easy stumble from the bar.

JayP

Benhall Farm...

Post by JayP » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:42 am

I've used this with several DoE groups over the last 6 years. Its fine. Yes the portaloos probably get horrible but my groups have never complained. Mrs Brewer has always been helpfull and happy to have unsupervised groups of DoE students on the site - which is inkeeping with the spirit of the award.
I stayed there this weekend, August 17th - there were no problems. I had booked in advance, I checked in when I arrived, as ALL the notices ask you to do; Mrs Brewer, the owner, was cheerful and helpfull and there were no problems at all. The portaloos were cleaner than the toilets at Lucksall where we stayed the night before. There was soap and water to wash hands and toilet paper. What more do we want for £6?
She was happy for us to leave cars during the day.
As for a Doe Expedition - my silver group paddle from New Court Farm at Preston on Wye to Lucksall on day 1 (19 miles), Lucksall to Benhall Farm on day 2 (18.5 miles) and Benhall Farm to Monmouth (21 miles) on day 3. It works really well and the groups come away with a sense of achievemant and pride.
Anyway - lets support these small campsites - without them we could not do what we do. We are not sippossed to wild camp in England and Wales by rivers so we need farmers like Mrs Brewer to run small campsites.

Crumble

Re: Benhall Farm...

Post by Crumble » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:00 pm

JayP wrote:What more do we want for £6?
We stayed here this weekend...spent the day in Exeter and drove around for ages trying to find a campsite eventually stumbling across this place at about £7 per person. £6 per person is a rip off for cr@p facilities.

http://www.salcombe-regis.co.uk/tariffs/index-2.html

And then there's this place in N Wales - beautiful location, very friendly people, really nice facilities and again, it's £6 per person!

BUKC annually go to Bude on a surf trip every year. We pay little over £3 per person I believe for a field, horrible showers and horrible toilets. But it's a nice place, they allow groups of students and it's not far from the town.

What more do we want for £3?

Hackworth

Post by Hackworth » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:12 pm

Just a couple of extra comments

We camped at the Rowing Club in Hereford last year. The club were great, good facitilities etc, but the camping field is by a footpath and a lot of drunks and general undesirables use it through the night (admittedly it was a Saturday night). About 4 am we were woken by the sound of beer barrels being stolen from the club. When we looked out to see what was happening we got a lot of abuse, ending up with them threatening us and the police being called. Not that it is a bad place to stop, you just might want to think about which night you stay there.

We also booked one of the fields for another nigt on the same trip, but the farmer's wife hadn't told him so he put his cows and a bull in our field for the night! Thankfully the bull was calm, but it probably pays to make sure if you're using these types of places...

twopigs

Re: River Wye camping

Post by twopigs » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:55 pm

I received the following this weekend.....
We do not have camping at all on land at Benhall Farm
the nearest is the White Lion

YOurs Carol
Carol Brewer
Benhall Farm
Wilton
Ross-on-Wye
Herefordshire
HR9 6AG
info@benhallfarm.co.uk
www.benhallfarm.co.uk
So the discussion about what it is like is pointless.
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!