Difference between Pilgrim and Isel?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
on the rocks

Difference between Pilgrim and Isel?

Post by on the rocks » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:37 pm

A first (hopefully only) sea kayak is a big investment. I’ve paddled a Pilgrim for a couple of days and liked it, I’m planning to try an Isel soon which also seems good for my 66 kg, 5’4” frame. Being a relative newcomer but enthusiastic learner I’m unlikely to appreciate some of the differences until I’ve developed more skills and experience. So can anybody please comment on differences in character between the two boats? Thank you

rockhopper

Re: Difference between Pilgrim and Isel?

Post by rockhopper » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:53 pm

I have had an Isel for about 2 years but not paddled the Pilgrim so can't do a direct comparison.
I can say that the Isel is light (probably lighter tan the Pilgrim), very comfortable and great at inspiring confidence. It is well built (up to Mike Webb's usual standard), robust, great initial and secondary stability. It is fast enough in a straight line and can be turned with relative ease for a boat of it's length. It picks up a wave and surfs easily and remains relatively manoeuvrable for such a long boat.
If it ever broke and was unrepairable I would definitely consider buying another.
If the Pilgrim is to the Isel like the Romany/Explorer is to the Alaw Bach then I would personally choose the Rockpools (and I own an Alaw Bach too).
Have a test paddle if you can.

Incidentally, I am 5' 7" and about 63kgs.

Rog.

John Goldhurst

Post by John Goldhurst » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:12 pm

Pilgrim vs Isel

Hi I have demoed the Pilgrim many times. And I have owned the Isel for six months.The difference for me was the sitting position. The Pilgrim has raised knee bumps that didn’t fit me well. My Isel also has a foot plate that I find more comfortable than pegs. I am 5.9 165 pounds

Both boats handle very similar in a variety of conditions. I do find the fit and finish higher on the Isel just flawless.

Hope this helps
John

on the rocks

Post by on the rocks » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:00 pm

Thanks John, I have short legs and the Pilgrim’s knee bumps fitted me well. I found it a bit tippy on edge but that may have been me not having enough time to get used to it? Did you notice much difference between the boats on edge?

John Goldhurst

Post by John Goldhurst » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:19 am

Hi there
The secondary stability (on edge) is very easy to find on the Isel and stable. This is due to it being a hard chine hull in the cockpit area. The Pilgrim has more of a softer chine.
I too found that the Pilgrim was harder to hold a edge and was twitchy in finding that sweet spot.

Good luck with the demo
John

on the rocks

Post by on the rocks » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:33 pm

Another option I'm hoping to demo is a Valley Sirona 15.10. Has anyone paddled one and can comment on it, ideally how its characteristics compared to the Pilgrim and/or Isel?
Thanks again