New Flat Earth Kayak Sails Footloose '80.

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Douglas Wilcox

New Flat Earth Kayak Sails Footloose '80.

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:22 pm

I have managed to get my hands on one of the new Flat Earth Kayak Sails Footloose ’80 sails. It is not intended to replace the current Trade Wind ’80, which remains in production and is especially suited to newcomers to paddle sailing. Unlike the loose leeched and forgiving Trade Wind the new Footloose gains a batten and becomes tight leeched. It is designed for those who are used to paddle sailing and want some more power from their sail. With the Trade Wind, if you are running down wind and slow down coming off the back of a wave the apparent wind will increase but the leech will open and spill the wind. In the Footloose the leech remains closed and the increase in apparent wind will give increased drive to help you catch the following wave. On a beam reach or closer to the wind the Footloose will not spill wind in gusty conditions and may give a few exciting moments. All in all a great addition to the Flat Earth range for more experienced paddle sailors. I do not expect there will be any demand for sizes larger than 0.8sqm!

More information and photos can be found here on my blog….

Douglas :o)

Kevin Cooper

Re: New Flat Earth Kayak Sails Footloose '80.

Post by Kevin Cooper » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:00 pm

Looks good. If this generates a second hand market for the Tradewind 80 I’d be very interested in any available. I will be new to kayak sailing.