Dry...dry trousers?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Selkie

Dry...dry trousers?

Post by Selkie » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:33 am

I often use my hatched V8 ski for touring and can be on the water all day. The water temperature is its lowest this time of year and neo skins etc are a not warm enough to wear all day in cold winds etc. When sea kayaking I always wore a drysuit, but because a ski encourages faster paddling especially across open stretches a full drysuit can get too warm. I have tried 4 pairs of dry trousers from Peak, Palm and Yak. 2 with attached socks and 2 with ankle seals. They all stayed dry for a max of 6 months. Sitting in an open ski bucket, I expect a bit of ingress through the ankle seals, but they get wet through the seat etc. I have spoken to Peak and they gave excellent service by replacing them, but the next pair only lasted about 4 months again. Frustrated by this, I recently doned my 5-year-old Typhoon drysuit that still stays perfectly dry. Can I assume, dry trousers are not made to the same high standards? If so, why not? It makes me wonder if they assume they will be used in sit-in kayaks and not subjected to constant water exposure of an open cockpit. I would be interested in peoples experiences good or bad.
www.selkiekayak.com
Surfskikayak on Facebook

PlymouthDamo

Re: Dry...dry trousers?

Post by PlymouthDamo » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:01 am

I've tried a few. My experience with Peak "storm pants" is similar to yours - they just aren't dry and water always seems to seep in through the butt where you're sitting on a wet seat. I also bought some Chinese things off ebay which were never really dry. The only ones which have done the job over several years are Kokatat Whirlpool Bibs in their Hydrus 3L material: 100% waterproof and incredibly tough and durable. However, they can't fully replace a drysuit as they don't seal 100% to the cag so will eventually leak if you take a swim.

I've recently acquired some second-hand Goretex drysuits, which are extremely good, but it's looking like you eventually get a damp butt if you're sitting in water, even though I'm sure there are no 'leaks.' This may mean that Goretex isn't any good on the backside of your trousers because being pressed against a wet seat will eventually force water through the pores. In which case, I'll be glueing a non-permeable patch over the arse. If you're looking at any lightweight breathable trousers (like the Peak ones) then I'd want to see a heavier, non-porous material used on the backside.

Selkie

Post by Selkie » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:21 pm

I am not sure what material they use but my Typhoon drysuit is breathable and stays very dry even after 5 seasons paddling in a surfski during winter. It is Cordura reinforced at key areas inc seat. I am not sure manufacturers can't make something similar in trousers or salopettes.
www.selkiekayak.com
Surfskikayak on Facebook

spynappels

Post by spynappels » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:42 am

I have a pair of Dam-X dry trousers which are used through the winter with a normal dry cag, for both paddling and dinghy sailing. They've never let in a drop of water (although I've not taken any swims) even in torrential rain and serious spray both helming and crewing on a Mirror. No signs of wear around the seat either.