Valley skeg slider -serious skeg post for once

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
PeterG

Valley skeg slider -serious skeg post for once

Post by PeterG » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:21 pm

We have a boat with the old style Valley skeg mechanism, easy to kink but only a 2 minute job to replace.

However, the skeg slider, the black knob, is now disintegrating with age and I can see that to replace it will involve some drilling and glassing to fit a new one onto the metal rod under the skeg wire. It strikes me that for a little extra effort I could fit the new style slider where a tube slides with the slider and the wire is inside.

Has anyone done this upgrading?

heybaz

Re: Valley skeg slider -serious skeg post for once

Post by heybaz » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:46 am

Hi Peter

Not upgraded one of these but have replaced the slider (black knob) on an Aquanaut, having obtained a new knob & grub screw one direct from Valley. The old one had started to disintegrate as the grub screw corroded - I drilled the grub screw out and effectively destroyed the old knob in doing so.

The replacement job was straightforward. The bar on which the knob slides required a little manual persuading to remove from its initial position and to convince it to go back in, but no glass or gel coat was harmed in the process and all works perfectly now...

Regards

Barry

PeterG

Re: Valley skeg slider -serious skeg post for once

Post by PeterG » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:44 pm

Yep, Valley advised me that the upgrade would involve a whole new set up as they are not at all the same size. However, they sent me a replacement slider free of charge, excellent service for a boat at least 20 years out of warranty! The old one fell apart in my hands, all working now.