Recommend Me - Thermal Undersuit

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Northern Blue

Recommend Me - Thermal Undersuit

Post by Northern Blue » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:19 pm

Rather than wearing tracksuit bottoms and a North Face 100 fleece top under my drysuit in the winter, I'm looking to buy a good undersuit, but I think I'd prefer the flexibility of 2 piece separates, rather than a one piece suit.

Any recommendations ?

Thanks,

Ken.

Douglas Wilcox

Re: Recommend Me - Thermal Undersuit

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:53 pm

I am not a fitness paddler so in really cold weather...

...I like a bit of insulation to keep warm. I really like the FourthElement Arctic suit. It is available as a one piece or a two piece. I have both and prefer the one piece. It is reasonably windproof which means that at the end of the day you can take the dry suit off and not get cold when packing up. I often drive home in it. It will also keep you warm if it gets wet which could be a lifesaver if your dry suit got ripped, its zip burst or you went swimming after forgetting to do up the pee zip.

It's expensive but if you want to paddle when it's cold it is worth every penny. You also stay warm when not paddling, e.g. during luncheon breaks.

Douglas

Northern Blue

Post by Northern Blue » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:28 pm

I'm liking the ice on the paddle !

Is there any specific reason that you prefer the one piece suit Douglas ? Does the two piece separate and the top ride up or is it more down to personal choice ?

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:29 pm

Hi Northern I I only wear it under a dry suit so no need to be a two piece and it is less bulky round your middle as there is no need for an overlap. It is also easier to have a pee wearing the dry suit as it has a full length front zip that opens top or bottom. Sometimes the two piece might separate leaving you cold round the kidneys...not pleasant.
Douglas

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:30 pm

Ps that was sea water which froze, not fresh!

Grian

Post by Grian » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:53 am

Also a one-piece, the Immersion Research suits are cosy and stretchy. No zips to rub as you climb in through the stretchy neck. We both like them and I prefer this to two pieces that can overlap or gape which is really annoying because you can't get to it to sort it out.

Northern Blue

Post by Northern Blue » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:27 am

I rang a dive centre at Carnforth, Lancs last Thursday, as I was going to call in and try a Fourth Element suit for size, seeing as I was heading in to the south Lakes anyway and it wasn't too far out of my way, but they didn't have 'one piece' suits in as "divers prefer two piece suits".

There looks to be a Fourth Element main outlet at Stockton on Tees, which isn't too far from home and I'm hoping will either have one in stock, or be able to get me something to try.

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:28 pm

Another vote for the Immersion Research Union one piece. Only feels very light and not at all bulky but it's waffle construction is excellent and surprisingly cosy:
https://www.immersionresearch.eu/store/ ... nion-suit/

Rog.

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:42 pm

Just to add... there are 2 Immersion Research options. One is the lighter weight waffle type K2 version (which I have) and the other is the heavier weight option (which I have not tried).

Rog.