valley in red

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
jdinis

valley in red

Post by jdinis » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:33 am

I'm about to order a nordkapp forti and can't decide on the shade of red.
I like the look of these:
http://www.ukseakayakguidebook.co.uk/al ... kayaks.htm
but can't pinpoint which red is it (signal-red or post-office-red).

Computer screens are notorious for failing on colour accuracy.
Even visiting other manufacturers websites doesn't help. Everyone signal-red looks different.

My question is this: has anyone compared these two colors side by side (on kayaks, I mean)?
If so, what do you think?

My fear is that the signal-red may be too flashy.
But on the other hand, the post-office-red may be too dull.

The remaining colour choices are easy: white hull, black trim.

Thanks,

-- Joao

Grian

Re: valley in red

Post by Grian » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:06 pm

Surely this decision must be influenced by the colour and tone of your accessories?

Psamathe

Post by Psamathe » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:20 pm

jdinis wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:33 am
My question is this: has anyone compared these two colors side by side (on kayaks, I mean)?
If so, what do you think?

My fear is that the signal-red may be too flashy.
But on the other hand, the post-office-red may be too dull.
Personal choice. Some might love one colour and dislike the other whilst some will be vice versa. Why would you value my personal colour choice? Some love falshy, others love dull.

Ian

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:28 pm

Well, I had a similar dilemma many years ago when ordering a Nordkapp. I went with the Postoffice Red as I thought the Signal Red too flashy - -

Arthur

Post by Arthur » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:04 pm

They look gorgeous in white...

Arthur

Post by Arthur » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:11 pm

... meant to add... I was going to buy a Sirona in white, having seen a stunning white Nordkapp Forti in a dealership. But I went to the factory and ended up with an orange/yellow fade with sparkly bits, over a grey hull! I would probably have thought 'YUK!', if I hadn't seen it in the flesh. All my other kit is blue, so go figure, as they say.

If you can get to Nottingham, go and check a few out in the flesh. If not, I'd go with white... you can't go wrong with white. ;-)

PhilAyr

Post by PhilAyr » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:05 pm

Just wondering... Has anyone got any interesting trip reports they could post ?

Phil :-$

Arthur

Post by Arthur » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:25 pm

PhilAyr wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:05 pm
Just wondering... Has anyone got any interesting trip reports they could post ?

Phil :-$
Wrong thread mate... this is strictly for the discussion of colour coordination, size (ie. does my bum look big in a white kayak?) and all things sartorial. Think of it as a definitive guide to next years' on-the-water look. ;-)

Mac50L

Post by Mac50L » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:41 pm

Have you thought about the fade-factor?

A couple of years in the sun and it is now pink?

As for colours, a couple of mine are light blue and a discussion by SAR pilots (somewhere on the web), it actually is spot-able due to being unusual. Any thing a little different gets spotted. Orange still the best and red not as good, so they said. The red being dark and the light blue being "brighter" appeared to be the difference.

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:43 am

Are these not based on RAL colours? (worth checking with Valley). If so just have a look at an RAL chart (in a paint shop or order a chart online) and that will give you the exact colours for you to make a comparison.

Rog.

ron-t

Post by ron-t » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:26 pm

Hi

I don`t think that Signal Red or Post Office Red would be RAL colours, if you look at the RAL colour charts available on-line, Signal Red is shown, but Post Office Red is not shown.

As far as I am aware, there are two companies in the UK that make pigments for fibreglass colouration - they are West and Senior, and Llewellyn Ryland.

If you look at the Standard colour chart that Llewellyn Ryland show on the web, both the names Signal Red and Post Office Red are on that chart.

So that suggests that Valley get the pigments they use from Llewellyn Ryland - maybe you could get your hands on one of their charts.

The different pigment manufacturers use names that suit them, there is no guarantee that the RAL colour Signal Red is the same colour as the Signal Red in the Standard chart shown by Llewellyn Ryland.

The thought occurs that if you are spending £2500 on a new boat, and you pay some kind of deposit on it, then surely you could expect Valley to supply you with a couple of A4 sized samples of the two colours you are interested in.

It would take them minutes to make them, and you are talking about a sale of £2500.

Make sure that they are a decent size, and are made out the pigments that Valley use in their boat making.

Just a comment on RAL colours - the RAL colour space was created in Germany I believe, and then became a sort of European standard. Personally I think that the RAL colour space is quite small, and the RAL colours seem to me to be rather dirty and with low saturation. I reckon that if you are looking for strong highly saturated colours, don`t use RAL colours.

jdinis

Post by jdinis » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:37 am

Did two things: took a look at a RAL chart (at a local paint shop) as rockhopper suggested and inquired the dealer to ask Valley for the colour coordinates of both reds.

Curiously, the RAL chart has two Signal Reds, a bright one (the BS381-537) and a more saturared, middle-tone one (the RAL 3001, tagged as SignalRot), and two Post Office Reds (BS381-538 and BS0-006), both less saturated, leaning to a dark luminosity.

However, in the mean time, received a reply from the dealer pointing to the Llewellyn Ryland, just as ron-t guessed.

For the record, here are their webpages:

http://www.llewellyn-ryland.co.uk/standardrange.html
http://www.llewellyn-ryland.co.uk/ralcolours.html

And now the Valley colour chart (at their webpage) makes more sense.
It closely follows the LR standard range, where it can be seen that the Signal Red is in fact very bright. And their Post Office Red is similar in brightness, but less saturated (and very different than the Post Office Reds of the RAL catalogue).

The RAL 3001 of the Llewellyn Ryland ralcolours is very similar to what I've seen at the RAL chart of the paint shop. So, perhaps the other colours of their webpages are not so different from the actual thing.

---

Didn't mentioned, but I live too far away from any Valley dealer. Tried one Nordkapp and loved it (except its orange colour). And have not seen any other Valley kayak, much less in red. Searching the web around only throwed more confusion, given the multitude of colours named 'signal red'.

Thanks for the help.
Post Office Red will be.

Grian

Post by Grian » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:45 am

A photo to follow? Congratulations on the new boat to be.

Arthur

Post by Arthur » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:57 pm

jdinis wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:37 am
Did two things: took a look at a RAL chart (at a local paint shop) as rockhopper suggested and inquired the dealer to ask Valley for the colour coordinates of both reds.
Can I suggest a third thing would be to ring Valley direct and talk to them about colours? They don't bite, you know. ;-)

In spite of some comments on the various blogs about them being difficult to get hold of, I was in frequent contact with them recently and they answered my all of my calls within a few seconds. Nice guys to deal with and if you're spending that sort of money on a kayak I think it's nice to talk to the actual blokes who design and build them... and I get the feeling they enjoy talking to customers too.

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:10 pm

You could always go for a custom fade. Light in the middle to darker towards the seam would work well with the two reds. It would be subtle but distinctively yours.
So much sea - so little time to see it.