What deck for an aries?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Mike A

What deck for an aries?

Post by Mike A » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:23 pm

Just wondering if people have any recommendations re a deck for the Aries 155? I am currenly using an old pyranha deck.

Initially thinking of a Peak Explorer (not sure if I need the elastics / grippy underside) and will need to check what size, but just open to ideas as to what is hot - ie watertight, stays on whilst playing, but still easy to get on whilst rushing to get the deck on between sets

Douglas Wilcox

Re: What deck for an aries?

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:38 pm

I use a Reed keyhole A on an Aries 155. A good fit and nice and light. |keep your Pyranha deck for rescue practice though!
Douglas

Mike A

Post by Mike A » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:50 pm

Cheers Douglas,

How do you find the aquatherm decks for playing in the races? I thought reed recommended neoprene for playing.

Mike

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:45 pm

Neither my friend Tony nor I have had any problems with Reed decks either in surf or tide races and on either RM Delphin or Hammer or composite Aries or Cetus MV.

Indeed, at the Mull of Galloway tide race a few Decembers ago, I took a large haystack which collapsed right on my deck. It just bounced off.

They work pretty well on a Taran 16 too.

However, I would take little notice of what I say, not just Reed, but most people, say use neoprene decks in surf and tide races.

Douglas :o)

pugwash

Post by pugwash » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:49 am

Not a deck expert, but try and check the fit before you buy, I assumed that my p&h deck that I used on my Delphin would fit, but the join at the back where the two ends of the shock cord meet is too thick to easily fit the coaming of my Aeries, both 155s It drove me round the bend as it took ages to get it on. In the end I got a Palm deck which does fit both boats, although it appears to be tighter on the Aeries. Seems happy in the surf and hasn’t caved in yet!

Allan Olesen

Post by Allan Olesen » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:36 am

I used a Reed Aquatherm for a year. It was very sturdy in surf. It is probably the best, cheap spraydeck you can get.

However, I had two other problems with it:
  • It was too fiddly to mount on the cockpit coaming
  • It was too elastic to push off with the knees if I couldn't use the hand strap
I finally caved in (the Reed never did...) and replaced it with a Snapdragon http://snapdragondesign.com/sdd-product ... reathable/ which cost me 2-3 times as much. This spraydeck is as sturdy as the Reed, it can be mounted on the cockpit coaming very fast, and it can be pushed off with the knees.

Mike A

Post by Mike A » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:09 pm

Thanks all.

Going to go with a reed plus map loops.

Here's hoping that Santa gets the message.