HTP Repair - Prijon Poseidon

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
Robin Woodward

HTP Repair - Prijon Poseidon

Post by Robin Woodward » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:31 am

Hi,

I've recently bought a second hand Prijon Poseidon (HTP construction) and it had a stern repair right on the end from repeated scraping on concrete on launch. It's now leaking a fair bit (a couple of litres an hour on the latest trip), so I was wondering if anyone has any advice/suggestions regarding repair and the materials to use?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Robin

PlymouthDamo

Re: HTP Repair - Prijon Poseidon

Post by PlymouthDamo » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:47 pm

For polyethylene. the repair of choice is plastic welding. I've helped a mate do a plastic welding repair on my old sit-on-top using a professional kit (which he normally uses to fix car bumpers.) It's basically a matter of cutting a vee-shaped indent into the crack or hole you want to repair and then melting it whilst simultaneously melting a stick of plastic to fill the vee. The tool used is a heat gun with a long thin nozzle. There's plenty of videos on YouTube.

Whether this can be done on HTP depends (according to Google...) on whether it's a cross-link (bad) or linear (good) polyethylene. I can't find any English websites which tell you that, however I notice that Prijon sell HTP repair sticks (i.e. welding rods for plastic) on their website, so that suggests it should weld okay.

Psamathe

Post by Psamathe » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:24 pm

Prijon do special repair sticks for HTP. Not easy to find but go to their web site (in English), download their cataloguevhttp://www.en.prijon.com/medien/medienp ... fertig.pdf and search for part number 90 080. They are colour matched as well!

I'd expect they might be on "special order" but there does seem to be a UK distributor now (and their Head Office can be helpful).

Ian

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:45 pm

Psamathe wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:24 pm
Prijon do special repair sticks for HTP.
Which reminds me of a top skinflint tip... When we repaired my boat, I first contacted a manufacturer to ask their advice. (I don't even think it was the manufacturer of my boat - just one of the big players.) I got put through to someone in the workshop who talked me through the options and then I had a Father Ted/Mrs Doyle moment when he absolutely insisted that he post me a load of off-cuts of the right type of plastic, free of charge. We were able to cut these into thin strips and use them in the welder. Might be worth a call to Prijon or whoever.

Robin Woodward

Post by Robin Woodward » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:06 pm

Thanks for the responses. Until just now I'd planned to do an interim repair by lining the inside of the old repair with G/flex epoxy and then when I get around to getting some plastic rods from Prijon eihter doing myself, or getting someone to assist/do a proper repair from the outside.

However, having just had a good clean of the inside of the stern, the original repair doesn't look as good as I'd hoped, so I'm not sure whether I should epoxy this bit in case this makes a proper repair in the future more difficult.

I just spent 30 mins trying to upload some images, but to no avail (error was only up to 1200 pixels high, but ti was much below that and resizing didn't help). I'll try this again later.

Any further advice on how I should proceed would be greatly appreciated. Also, is there anywhere in the SW/S Wales/S England who could carry out a decent repair if I chicken out? A ball park figure of how much this might cost would be really useful also!

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:29 pm

I don't know anything about G/flex epoxy, but my instinct would be to avoid messing around with an intermediate repair and just get the plastic sorted. It's possible to do yourself using a hot air gun or a soldering iron (I managed to repair a motorbike fairing this way following some internet instructions) but I expect a professional would charge a lot less than £50 so I'd just do that. A search on Google for companies doing plastic welding in the Bath area comes up with Bristol Bumper Repairs. http://www.bristolbumperrepairs.com There are probably loads of others.

Once you've got it fixed, you could try putting a protective strip on your keel - the thread in the main Sea Kayaking section on keel protection for corelite boats has a lot of people saying that Keeleezy is a good solution for plastic boats. And if you're not already doing so, learn to do floating launches to avoid any further problems.

Robin Woodward

Post by Robin Woodward » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:33 pm

Hi Damo,

Thanks for the reply, I hadn't thought of a car plastics repairer. Have now put some feelers out. I definitely plan on putting some keeleasy on once it's sorted enough. The design has no rocker at the rear so it's very susceptible to keel damage at the stern. I'm definitely trying to avoid any further damage through launching or similar. Seems a shame as I went for a plastic boat because I thought it would take a bit more abuse, but I did know about the repair prior to buying, just hoped it would hold and loved the boat after a trial so thought I'd go for it anyway.

adventureagent

Post by adventureagent » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:12 am

Someone in my club had G flex / cloth put on his poly kayak rim. Doesn't blend, colour-wise, but it certainly has worked. In his case, there was maybe too heavy an amount of cloth set to it. I'm very, very impressed with G flex as a repair mode.

No doubt plastic can be welded and the colour match would be better; depending on the skill of the repairer.
CELEBRATE LIFE: PADDLE by ALL MEANS !

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:26 am

I recently used G-flex to repair a Rolyalex (triple layer ABS/vinyl sandwich) canoe - to get an approximate colour match I put a little powder paint (= child's water colour) into the outer layer. It seems to have worked well, although it hasn't been subjected to hard use yet.