Which buoyancy aid?

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
Stoney Mike

Which buoyancy aid?

Post by Stoney Mike » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:53 am

Hi all,

It's my birthday coming up and I've been thinking I should really get round to replacing my BA. I've had a look at the discussions through the almanac but am hoping to get some more up to date recommendations for what to get.

I'd like something with a vhf pocket (I've got the Standard Horizon HX870E which is quite bulky), and maybe a hydration back pocket, plus space for my plb, phone and a couple of snacks.

Also I realise it's best to try it on before I buy. There is only Tiso (as far as I know) that sell kayaking gear in Aberdeen, can anyone recommend where the nearest kayak shop to here is?

Cheers,
Mike

rowlandW

Re: Which buoyancy aid?

Post by rowlandW » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:30 am

Morning Mike,

Having worn a few in my time, I can definitely say that the Kokatat Poseidon is the most comfortable and unrestrictive [i]for me[/i]. And it has enough pockets and add-ons to keep anyone happy! It will carry what you list - and more - with ease.

I think the nearest kayak gear shops to you are in Perth, Stirling and Oban. Can't recall anything closer (not with a range of sea gear, anyway).

Rowland

Owen

Post by Owen » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:12 pm

I think the shops in Perth and Stirling have closed, which only leaves Tiso's in Perth.

Psamathe

Post by Psamathe » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:18 pm

I like my NRS cVest, but without loads of experience I can't really say how good or bad it is compared to others. It does have a VHF pocket and if it's a consideration I'd be happy to measure it. Having a mesh lower back section does mean to get the buoyancy up the remaining panels have to be a bit bulkier.

Purchasing: These days I find I chose what I want then order online on the basis that if it is not right (fit/functionality/whatever wise) I can return it. Ok, you pay the return postage (sometimes) but then you are not paying for petrol/parking to/from a store. In practice I end-up returning very little and the benefit is you have a massively wider selection to chose between.

Ian

Stoney Mike

Post by Stoney Mike » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:37 pm

Thanks all for the replies.

I guess ordering online and sending it back if it doesn't fit sounds like the best option. Much as I'd like a trip to the west coast with the excuse of spending some money, it'll be a while before I have the time.

Any other recommendations?

sleepyfolk

Post by sleepyfolk » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:24 pm

I'm no expert but got one of these https://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/2017-ya ... gK2HfD_BwE after reading a few reviews and doing a bit of googling, I found it comfortable as it's cut away fairly well but still has the pocket on the back for my hydration bladder, has plenty of variable adjustment on the straps, has a vhf pocket on the left, another pocket on the right for PLB (I keep mine on the shoulder strap) but this pocket also has clip rings in for other bits and bobs