P&H Scorpio spray deck

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
openeyes

P&H Scorpio spray deck

Post by openeyes » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:11 am

Hi newbie here so be easy on me, I'm looking for a spray deck for my Scorpio Kayak, any recommendations as I'm also a large lad at 18stone.:)

seawolf856

Re: P&H Scorpio spray deck

Post by seawolf856 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:56 pm

Hi openeyes, welcome to the forum. We don't eat newbies for breakfast here, this is the best place on the planet for help and ideas, so keep visiting.

As with all bits of paddling kit, you will soon learn that it invariably comes down to personal preference, so based on my own personal preference I would recommend you take a look at the Pyranha range. As you are sea kayaking I would recommend a full neoprene deck with neoprene body tube. I'm a big lad too but they do sizes to fit me. A nice taught deck will stop pooling of spray. Lightweight spray decks may seem easier to fit but once you are past your newbie stage, you will appreciate the better fit. If you are particular about it being lightweight (but why would you be?) then Reed do a very nice range too in a lighter thickness material, not my cup of tea but I know many fans of Reed gear.
My deck has elastic lines attached which I use to hold my map case, again this is personal preference as some folk will say they get in the way and can snag on re-entry.
Don't bother with braces, the deck tube should really be fitting under the skirt on your paddling top or drysuit anyway, so braces are a waste of time.

Good luck with your selection and enjoy your Scorpio - nice boat choice.

charleston14

Post by charleston14 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:11 pm

I recently picked up a palm rannoake a bit of a bargain end of line from escape watersports it fits nicely. Thought it was too small when it arrived v tight fit, but they loosen over time. Fits my scorpio lv just right, just make sure you get get the right size! Waist band is adjustable on the rannoake. For rolling practice or serious stuff, I'd probably use a simpler neoprene one. Lomo do good prices, not tried any.
Scorpio LV

openeyes

Post by openeyes » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:39 pm

Thanks for the replies, will look into a neoprene version, I do fancy elastics to hold my map but think thats for the future. will look a the lomo and palm version cheers folks :)

PhilAyr

Post by PhilAyr » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:01 pm

Hi Openeyes,

Just a word of warning ! From what you said I assume you would be looking for a Scorpio HV spray deck.

I love Reed decks so I ordered a Reed spray deck for my Scorpio MV. Although it fitted my MV I found it to be too small for my friend's HV. I have since found out that Reed do not stock spray decks for the Scorpio HV. I have now ordered a Reed HV deck for my friend and have supplied Reed with an actual size template of the HV cockpit with the order. Other points that Reed take into consideration when cutting spraydecks are :

1/ Distance of backrest from cockpit rim.

2/ Waist size.

3/ RM or Glass. The rim of an RM cockpit is thicker and more rounded than a glass cockpit.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards,

Phil