New spray deck tight?

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
Treeman21

New spray deck tight?

Post by Treeman21 » Wed May 31, 2017 11:20 am

Sorry for the potentially dumb question (newbie) but should a new spray deck be ridiculously tight? Like using every bit of strength to get it on tight?

My main concern is I'm not convinced I could get it off in an emergency.

If so any remedies for loosening it off a bit? Currently just I've left it on there to stretch.

Thanks

MaverickvRS

Re: New spray deck tight?

Post by MaverickvRS » Wed May 31, 2017 11:55 am

Usually it's a case of getting it wet and letting it sit - they do take a while!

hamster86

Post by hamster86 » Wed May 31, 2017 12:04 pm

Get it wet. Fit it and leave it on for a week. Worked on mine

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

adventureagent

Post by adventureagent » Wed May 31, 2017 12:05 pm

There are not dumb questions. Some answers, well ...

Hard to believe, but neoprene spraydecks are easier to put on if you wet them. Sometimes you get it to the tough part and you can scoop a little water on it, and spread the water with your hands. Then stretch the last bit.

Usually you can pull the "rip cord" by pulling up toward yourself. My present "main boat" has a cockpit rim that turns downward. If you cut it, the section would be like a "U" instead of a normal sideways "J". I could hardly pull it off at all.

I had to re-learn. I had to practise in one motion, to pull the rip cord forward, then upward. It's like learning a new chord on the guitar. Repetion, repetition, repetition. Before you know it, it's just normal.

Sometimes skirts come off with incredible ease in an emergency. Adrenaline, subconscious brain takeover or what, I don't know. Still, it's comfortable to know you won't be stuck upside down.

I hope this helps a bit. Best wishes, welcome to paddlesport.
CELEBRATE LIFE: PADDLE by ALL MEANS !

TheEcho

Post by TheEcho » Wed May 31, 2017 12:42 pm

I have used one spraydeck+boat combo which wouldn't detach from the normal big yank towards the paddler. It needed a pull to the side instead. If you forgot this in a panic when capsized or couldn't find the loop, there were two other ways to get it off:
1. Whack it with your knees. Pop!
2. Get your fingernails under the side of it and prise it until the seal breaks and the water comes rushing through, when it will go pop!

Worthwhile having some wet practice as not all techniques will work for all boats and decks.

Treeman21

Post by Treeman21 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:26 pm

Thank you all, that's comforting to read, and yes my new one you have to pull it away from you before you can pull it up and off.

The one I learnt on was obviously very well used as it came off so easily, but I suppose that's quite useful for a beginner.

My new one does have a knee strap to help it off too, so maybe a soaking and a few practice runs, and it'll be fine.

Thanks.