How to repair polyurethane combing

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
Yellerbelly

How to repair polyurethane combing

Post by Yellerbelly » Sun May 21, 2017 8:27 pm

This much loved Current Designs Scirocco has seen better days and has been bodged. As i've taken over the maintenance of the club equipment I'm not sure what to do with this.
Any suggestions?
The seat isn't properly supported. Some closed cell foam will improve things.
. . . . Ben

Chris Bolton

Re: How to repair polyurethane combing

Post by Chris Bolton » Sun May 21, 2017 9:01 pm

I would cut out the polythene seat to reduce the stress on the damaged coaming, and replace the seat with a foam one fixed to the hull only. I think it's actually polythene (=polyethylene) not polyurethane, and is probably weldable - so I'd then try using some the spare plastic from the seat to weld the coaming back to full integrity, and hope to get rid of the rivets.

Yellerbelly

Re: How to repair polythene combing

Post by Yellerbelly » Mon May 22, 2017 9:52 am

Thanks Chris,
Sorry polythene/polyethylene.
I really am a novice at this so have been googling 'weld polythene' and found this;
https://youtu.be/5uBDXwWgPiI
Looks like a few hours ahead with blowtorch and soldering iron.
. . . . Ben

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Mon May 22, 2017 12:27 pm

Yes, that's the kind of thing - about 3 min into the video. You'll have plenty of plastic to practice on if you take the seat out.

There are youtube videos on making a foam seat, too, if the club budget doesn't stretch to buying one.

Yellerbelly

Post by Yellerbelly » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:56 pm

(trying Flickr link, I've lost all my photo links with Photobucket policy change as well Chris!)

Before
]Image

After

Cut out the seat and mounted it on closed cell foam blocks, velcroed to the hull. Too nervous to use heat gun/paint stripper so just used a 25 watt soldering iron to bond new plastic into the cracks and holes. Not too difficult. Still a bit of a mess but the combing came together and is useable.
Hopefully this will hold with use. Decided not to bond in any steel mesh as the combing seems quite sound.

Thanks . . .. Ben