DSLR camera bag??

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
Confused Chimp

DSLR camera bag??

Post by Confused Chimp » Fri May 05, 2017 4:52 pm

Hi All,
I'm hoping I can draw on the collective knowledge of the community.

I'm looking for recommendations for a waterproof DSLR camera bag to take sea kayaking on the fjords in Norway.
I'm taking a trip for the first time and I've never been sea kayaking so I've no experience to draw on.

I'm looking for a bag that can be attached to me (whilst wearing buoyancy aid etc or attached to the kayak.

I want it to be easily enough to have the camera accessible whilst I'm on the water and completely waterproof when sealed invade I capsize.

I've been looking at Watershed Ocoee. But just looking for recommendations??
Many thanks
CC

frankt377

Re: DSLR camera bag??

Post by frankt377 » Fri May 05, 2017 8:09 pm

Other than an armoured waterproof case, a watershed is the only bag I would trust to keep a DSLR in.

BobbyR

Post by BobbyR » Fri May 05, 2017 9:39 pm

Watershed Ocoee with a padded camera bag insert. They are great bags. Well worth the money.

Yew

Post by Yew » Sat May 06, 2017 12:50 pm

Watershed for a bag, Peli for a case

ian johnston

Post by ian johnston » Sat May 06, 2017 6:01 pm

Hi CC,

We use the Aqua Zoom DSLR bag from Ortlieb. It's good......

https://seakayakphoto.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... m-bag.html

If you look at the header picture on Duglas' blog, he's surfing a Cetus under sail with £3K of camera gear in the Ortlieb bag on the foredeck. The Aqua Zoom has plastic eyes to which you can clip carabiners to attach it to the boat. I prefer to have the camera attached to the boat rather than me.....

Kind Regards

Ian

Maarten Z

Post by Maarten Z » Mon May 08, 2017 12:29 pm

I started off with the Ortlieb V-Shot but found it cumbersome to open & close whilst on the deck. Plus the teeth of the zipper would rotate when used in non-perfect conditions making it malfunction.
I replaced it with the Ortlieb Aquazoom as mentioned above which, admittingly, didn't get proper testing yet. For sure it's a lot easier to operate.

I tend to leave the DSLR at home and rely on my waterproof compact when the sea might be bumpy.

tjclare

Post by tjclare » Mon May 08, 2017 1:05 pm

watershed - I have quite often paddled with 2k+ of camera gear in there and no issues at all.

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu May 11, 2017 10:31 pm

Ortileb aquazoom for me, for many years. Only had one accident and that was when I squashed it and popped the seal open on a river trip and didn't notice until I took it out of my car some hours later.... The camera body was done for, the lens is still fine.
I'm only on my second bag and it has had a lot of abuse, I use it for work to take a camera into ballast tanks and such as well as when paddling.