Peeing in women's drysuits, comparing the options

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Grian

Peeing in women's drysuits, comparing the options

Post by Grian » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:02 pm

I know similar questions have been asked before. I hope no one minds a repeat and a request for user satisfaction ratings please - I'd be really interested to know the level of contentment people have with their particular set-up.

I've used a reed paddlesuit with a verzip hinge (and now would like a full drysuit) I find it possible to use the verzip fastening as a drop seat, but not to reattach the braces that prevent the bottoms from drooping!

In particular, can anyone tell me about the Kokatat style drop-seat. The bustle-zip looks huge and clunky, are they less cumbersome than they appear? Do people actively like or just tolerate them?

Front relief zip - it seems like this could be the ultimate in freedom, no finding a secluded spot, no squatting in nettles/excessive exposure to midges... Has anyone mastered the FUD? Does the relief zip not scratch gelcoat horribly getting onto the back deck?

Thank you

TheEcho

Re: Peeing in women's drysuits, comparing the options

Post by TheEcho » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:28 pm

I have a Kokatat drop seat. I bought the drysuit secondhand and wouldn't pay extra for a peeing option as I haven't needed to drop the seat yet, but I am sure it works fine for that.

The zip doesn't seem to get in the way when in the boat. I felt discomfort in my hand when carrying a boat by its toggle the other day, and figured out that because I was wearing an ocean spray deck for the first time, my hand was rubbing against the seat zipper as I was carrying the boat. A normal spray deck is long enough to cover it.

Someone gave me a shewee once. I tried it a few times but for me there was always a risk of it making a mess.

No doubt these answers are highly anatomically dependent.

Rainshine

Post by Rainshine » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:40 pm

I have a couple of womens' Kokatat drysuits both with the rear drop seat. The rear relief zip never gets in the way of anything - you never feel it and that includes when sitting in the kayak. One has a chunky plastic zip and the other has a brass zip. They are both equally comfortable and effective provided you lubricate them properly. I've worn my suits for river and sea paddling in multiple different boats and never felt either of them or felt they were in any way a nuisance. The zips don't scratch the gel coat either. They are great and its easy to go to the loo without taking the drysuit off.

I usually use an Immersion Research one-piece undersuit - the one you put on by climbing into it through the very stretchy neck!!! The women's version has an open seam across the lower back although the fabric overlaps so you don't get a bare bit. Its fantastic. I sometimes wear two of the IR suits - one on top of the other if its cold. Other times I wear IR separates over the one piece. With both of those set-ups its just as easy to pee as with the single undersuit on.

I can go to the loo with no problems by just opening the rear relief zip, pulling the lower half of the IR undersuits(s) down to open the gap up and crouching down - TMI, I know but you did ask!!!!

I've never tried any of the devices that let you pee via the man's relief zip on the front of my Typhoon drysuit. I can see how it could work but I can also forsee many accidents!!!!

Grian

Post by Grian » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:53 am

Thanks, this sounds encouraging in the direction of the drop-seat option.

I have an IR stretchy-neck suit and thought that was the best thing ever, but I was wrong - the best thing ever would be TWO of them!!

Rainshine

Post by Rainshine » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:52 am

Yep - in winter I often wear one IR undersuit on top of the other!! Works a treat.

I have a couple of Northern Diver undersuits in different thicknesses which are designed for scuba diving in very cold conditions - they are good for river paddling or very cold days at sea but they have no drop seats so going to the loo is a bit more of a performance!!

Graham T

Post by Graham T » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:30 am

As a man i'm sensible enough to not give any advise directly but Freya Hoffmeister is currently paddling around North America. If you read her recent blogs you will get the good and not so good experiences with both systems !
She apparently uses the shewee type plastic cup and male zipper, Justine Curgenven is paddling with her for a week and has the drop seat suit, like most things in life I expect there are Pros and cons for both methods

lg18

Post by lg18 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:24 pm

Hello,
I have tried the She-Wee in conjunction with front zip (Reed suit and Lomo suit) - absolute disaster - what a mess.
I've tried the Kokatat 2-piece dry-suit (new out last year) - very fiddly to do up the joining zip and plastic knob thing, and it leaked like a sieve and the suit had to go back several times, eventually permanently.
So I eventually bought a Kokatat expedition drysuit with drop seat - perfect. It looks cumbersome but I forget all about it when in the kayak, and can do it up and undo the zip on my own. All very easy. Highly recommended.

Lucy

Grian

Post by Grian » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:03 pm

Thanks for further advice.

I'll look at FH's blog, though she is made out of far sterner stuff than me so what suits her may not apply!

Disappointing re the switch-zip system, I did wonder if it was the Holy Grail of suits for women but so few people talking about it seemed strange.

In any case today I realised that the front zip could never be entirely satisfactory as it would be little use for dealing with menstrual practicalities!

Grian

Post by Grian » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:32 pm

Just read a blog post of Freya Hoffmiester's re peeing at sea, thankfully not a primary concern as a mere mortal.
she was quite trained on being quickly done with the job with a high pressure spray, but at least I now realized why she fancied a yellow kayak deck
Now that is almost TMI :)

Graham T

Post by Graham T » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:39 pm

almost and I thought it might help to make your decision -:)

thekracken

Post by thekracken » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:58 pm

In the past I have tried shewee thro front relief zip, tried the kokotat hydrus with back zip. Wondering about Typhoon Multisport Hinge drysuit and would welcome comments by any ladies that have one.

TM.

Post by TM. » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:58 pm

Kokatat back zip for me is the only answer. I can - with some difficulty- pee afloat. But don't think the menstrual aspects are easy even with a back zip. They aren't, at least not in my opinion. I find a corner - hide behind it and strip my dry suit off to expose all. Again TMI! But you did mention it.

Grian

Post by Grian » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:22 pm

Thanks for these replies, I just checked back. Never TMI IMHO!

I went for kokotat and the zip is not at all uncomfortable, just a little stiff as still so new - I have to be careful its fully closed.

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:53 pm

XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

thekracken

Post by thekracken » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:03 pm

Has anyone tried the Peak Explorer leg entry system drysuit as I am wondering if this might work?