Recommendations for a thin hood / skull cap ?

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
Daker

Recommendations for a thin hood / skull cap ?

Post by Daker » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:29 pm

As the title suggests, has anyone got any Recommendations for a thin hood / skull cap please?
Looking for something to use for rolling / surfing at this time of the year without going for a full neoprene hood.

The obvious suggestion will no doubt be Reed and I used to have some of their hoods in the past but the current versions have a number of prominent seams on the inside which are very uncomfortable for those of us with a sensitive baldy head !

Don't know why they changed the way the used to make them, with the seam on the outside and taped, presumably production cost v sale price / profit, but the new ones are nowhere near as pleasant to wear.

Thanks.

pathbrae

Re: Recommendations for a thin hood / skull cap ?

Post by pathbrae » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:52 pm

I know what you mean about the Reed seams - I put mine on outside-in if I'm going to be wearing it for a while
So much sea - so little time to see it.

Phizz4

Post by Phizz4 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:52 pm

Fourth Element make a balaclava from their Thermocline material. http://fourthelement.com/technical/thermocline/

Very stretchy but be aware that they come up VERY small. I have an XL on my medium sized head and it is still a quite a tight fit.

Irish Sea

Post by Irish Sea » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:55 pm

I personally found the Reed balaclava to be nice for keeping your head warm in bad weather while paddling or on the beach but next to useless for cold water rolling as it let in way too much cold water. In fact it was probably worse than no hood at all as it let the cold water rush in but than retained some of it for a couple of seconds after the roll which made the icecream headaches even worse.

I switched to a simple beanie in 2mm neoprene which I find quite adequate for a few rolls in coldish water.

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:01 pm

I like the Lomo skull cap. Fleece lined with a soft shell outer.
Yes it lets the water and then out again but it's warm even when wet and windproof. And cheap as chips. I've got 5 or 6 now keep them in all my boats and in my car etc.

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:16 pm

Palm do a thin soft shell skull cap called a playboater earwig. It is rubber lined and has a chin strap with plastic snap catch.
I bought mine from Manchester Canoes, current cost is £18. It is very thin and very comfortable and even out on the sea at the weekend rolling in the surf it kept my noggin warm.
These are designed for fitting under helmets for play boaters and white water kayakers but I use it on the sea because it can be easily stuffed into pocket when you are putting in the cruising miles and then pop it on for the beach landing!!!

Daker

Post by Daker » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:51 pm

Great. A few options to explore there.
Thanks a lot.

Maarten Z

Post by Maarten Z » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:15 am

I have both a Reed and a Balaclava from Kokatat. The latter for colder weather (fleece lined) which is very comfortable.
https://kokatat.com/product/surfskin-balaclava-inusba