replacing deck bungee

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
charleston14

replacing deck bungee

Post by charleston14 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:20 pm

I'm replacing old deck bungees on a couple of club touring kayaks.

Shouldn't be hard..but..

Factory fitted, are 5mm cords fitted through plastic moulded in deck fittings with holes that are 4 or 5 mm. It's a really tight fit to thread the bungees through the holes....but the manufacturer managed it.

Any tips??, I'd rather not weaken the holes by boring them out a touch larger. And would rather use the same thickness bungee not drop down in size.

So far I've found this a fiddly process of melting the end of the bungee with a lighter, making a pointy bit of melted bungee outer and cutting away the inner rubber cords. Usually lasts about 2 holes then have to redo the melting and cutting away inner.

There's gotta be a better way!
Scorpio LV

jamiemagee

Re: replacing deck bungee

Post by jamiemagee » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:26 pm

I cut the rope on an angle and melted the end to give a needle like point to aid threading. I used rope though as I was told that's better for touring. Still got the odd bungee bit for securing paddles

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

jeremyduncombe14

Post by jeremyduncombe14 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:23 pm

I cut the end on a slant then poke a hole through it with a sailmakers needle, and thread a long bit of whipping twine through the hole. Then tie a knot in the whipping twine to form a loop. The whipping twine is thin but very strong, so the loop can be threaded through the deck fittings and used to pull the bungee through. Last time I managed to do the whole front deck before the whipping twine finally pulled out of the end of the bungee cord. Any thin twine will do so long as it is strong enough, but whipping twine is ideal. Finish by cutting off the end of the bungee with the whipping twine through it, and heat sealing the cut to stop the nylon sheath fraying.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:33 pm

Stretch the bungee tight. While it's tight, wrap pvc insulating tape round it at the point where you want to cut it. To feed through deck fittings, wrap about 4cm, then cut the bungee in the middle of the tape, leaving 2cm of small diameter end. This is also a good way to stop bungee fraying at a cut.

muddy_duck

Post by muddy_duck » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:16 am

The easiest way that I have found is to pull the outer sheath back 100mm or so, cut the inner core off. Pull the outer sheath forward again, wrap a small piece of tape around it to stiffen the end, this allows you to thread it through the deck fittings. Use the empty sheath as a needle, just keep pulling it through. You only need to cut the inner out once just keep using the same thin end over and over again.

You can use the same process to replace the outer deck line ropes

Hope this helps

Peter

charleston14

Post by charleston14 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:02 am

Wow lots of good ideas there, thanks folks!
Scorpio LV

stormkayaker

Post by stormkayaker » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:01 pm

Start 3cm or so from the end of the bungee wrap tape (masking or electrical) towards the loose end stretching the bungee as you wrap - takes a bit of practice !

This reduces the diameter so even with tape in place you can thread through the holes. Should last for 5 or 6 holes before tape tears and needs to be replaced.

Apply heat shrink to the loose ends once all threaded up and tied off for a tidy finish.