Best Dry suit?

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
Sprucey

Best Dry suit?

Post by Sprucey » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:27 pm

Not sure which way I want to go yet but, if money no object, what do people think is the best dry suit for exped / touring?

If I put my budget limit of around £550 what would that narrow people's recommendations to?

Cheers,

Sprucey

SJD

Re: Best Dry suit?

Post by SJD » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:19 pm

The one with the best customer service, repair and replacement policy

Krizzy

Post by Krizzy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:24 pm

???????....Sprucey, you'd be the first person I would go to for the answer to the question!

swagstaff

Post by swagstaff » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:43 pm

WHITEWATER ALL YEAR LONG

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:52 pm

If money is no object: I hate myself for saying this, as I've had terrible experience with their customer service, but Kokatat gear is extremely well made and durable. My kit (dry cag and bib trousers) is made out of their 'Hydrus' material and has proven to be absolutely bomb-proof. I've fitted a replacement neck seal on one of their Goretex suits and that looked extremely well-made, but lightweight and (reportedly) breathes well. I've read that their customer service is good when it comes to Goretex kit, which is presumably because they've got an agreement with Goretex to foot the bill for any replacements.

If you're in the £550 range, then one of my paddling buddies has recently bought a Lomo Renegade II drysuit which has worked flawlessly so far, in accordance with their reviews. Whether or not the material is breathable enough to cope with warm conditions is yet to be seen. £299.

Incayak

Post by Incayak » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:06 pm

Check this out Sprucey, it's within your budget.

https://www.typhoon-int.co.uk/news/the- ... b-drysuit/

Its made from tough material, is good fitting and has neoprene neck and cuffs which are waterproof, comfortable and more durable than latex. Extra seals on ankles, cuffs and neck keep you warm in, on and off the water. Mine is 4 years old and still going strong.

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:15 pm

Any of the below from Typhoon

Multisport
PS220
PS330

3 year waterproof guarantee.

I also have a Yak Titan (now Vanguard) which at £299 has been great.

I've had two Palm suits and both leaked

RichJ

Post by RichJ » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:38 pm

SJD,
I once thought as you! Sadly, a very well known manufacturer let us down so many times that I have given up with their kit.
The investment in Kokatat has been huge.....But I continue (so far) to be dry!

Richard

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:41 am

Kokatat Gore-Tex.

jamiemagee

Post by jamiemagee » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:51 am

I can vouch for typhoon customer service. Emailed them about a leaky sock. They repaired it for free and pressure tested the suit whist they had it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:23 am

In that price range, try Immersion Research, streets ahead of the Lomo suits. I haven't tried a Kokatat to compare but I suspect you get pretty close to Kokatat build quality for mid range price.
I was just noting last night how my 18 month old 7-figure suit was still completely dry after a 2 hour freestyle session in horizontal rain - tiny amount of damp around the wrists (to be expected due to the movement of tendons and things under the seals) but otherwise completely dry, which was fortunate because I had forgotten my towel....

Oh yes, and they can customise too, for $30 extra I had mine made with short legs for its size (in dollars because the customisation is done in the US factory with ~ 2 weeks lead time). You can see UK stock on their website, in £.

Grian

Post by Grian » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:38 am

Sprucey I hope you don't mind if my adding a question to your thread but as always kokatat has been recommended. I believe they last well under normal use but how easily damaged is their light fabric if a person is doing extensive rescue practice - sprachling around on the back deck and over the coaming?

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:46 pm

I'd question whether k/tats fabric is 'light' - certainly not the drysuit fabric. Mine dates back to 2007 ish and is fine. Which is more than can be said for the fabric they now use on the TecTour cag which is much lighter. One of them will require repair within 2 to 3 years of normal rec paddling use.

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:13 pm

My Kokatat Expedition dry suit is not so much "light" but it is definitely the most flexible material I've seen for a dry suit. It is so comfortable to wear that it gives the impression of being "lightweight". As you will hear from most Kokatat dry suit owners, construction is bombproof and performance is fantastic. The only issue is cost but in all honesty, bearing in mind the quality of the latex seals and the heavy duty zips along with other detailed design features such as arm pockets, adjustable waist fastening, wrist and ankle cuffs, reinforced feet, seat and thighs etc, I would say that you are getting pretty close to value for money.

Grian

Post by Grian » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:52 pm

I borrowed a kolkata drysuit for a coaching session once and it was like wearing nothing at all. I hate the stiff constrictive feel of most drysuit fabrics so am resigned to investing in goretex. Thanks for making me feel better about it :)

Grian

Post by Grian » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:04 pm

bloody predictatext. KOKATAT suit. What is 'kolkata' anyway?!

Grian

Post by Grian » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:27 pm

Hangs head in culturally-unaware shame... clearly I'm someone who pronounces it himalayAS!

Owen

Post by Owen » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:40 pm

Kokatat suits may be fantastic but the OP only has £550 to spend which will only get half a Kokatat suit.

David_K

Post by David_K » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:21 pm

I own a Kokatat Radius w/Switch Zip, Immersion Research 7 Figure, Immersion Research Devils Club, Stohlquist Amp, and the Stohlquist Shift. I test gear as part of my job, so I get a lot of equipment. Here are my thoughts.

1. Kokatat is EXPENSIVE. It is okay, but not signficantly better than any of the rest, especially at double the price of some. It is not as good as the Immersion Research (either of them).

PROS: 1. Switch zip is cool, I can wear just the top or the bottoms or both 2. Light weight 3. Kokatat will make one to size at no extra cost
CONS: 1. My friends and I call them Kokatwats for a reason. Customer service is horrible, and they are arrogant. 2. The DWR on the fabric has to be constantly applied. If done correctly and frequently, it will keep things good. Just a hight maintenance suit. 3. Did I mention it was EXPENSIVE!

2. IR 7 Figure: My favourite whitewater suits. Light weight, great comfort, and most importantly DRY. Not exactly made for the sea, so not my favourite sea suit.
PROS: 1. Lightweight and dry. 2. Extremely comfortable 3. Fantastic customer support, John and his wife built this company from their garage, but haven't forgotten what is important.
CONS: 1. Doesn't have some of the features that true Sea drysuits have, such as hoods and zipper pockets. 2. Not as versatile as some of the others I have tried for the sea.

3. IR Devils Club. Same as the other IR, but with heavier fabric. Same pros and cons, except for the weight and it was designed specifically to take a beating in the Pacific Northwest creeking hike-ins.

4. Stolquist Amp. Great drysuit for the money. It is hard to beat this suit for what they charge. Again, not a specific suit for sea, but a great value.
PROS: 1. Great value. 2. Dry. 3. Great customer service, which is a huge plus considering one of the cons.
CONS: 1. Quality can vary. Good thing is their customer service is great about replacing and repairing at no cost. They stand behind their stuff.

5. Stolquist Shift. This is one I have recently been using, and I am starting to really fall in love with it. Check out some YouTube videos, as it is hard to explain. I can tell you I switch on water all of the time, and around shore, it is perfect.
PROS: 1. Love, love, love the Shift ystem. This is also my wife's new favorite for the sea. 2. Super dry. Just spent two full days teaching rescues and rolling. Spent hours in the water, and no wetness. 3. Very durable fabric, I have been rough on this just to test it, and it has taken a beating.
CONS: 1. It is heavier than anything else I have tested. I dont' notice on the water, and it is comfortable, but when you pick it up you can definitely feel the difference. 2. The cut is weird. The top fits a little tight when in zip-off configuration, but not bad. It took a little getting used to, but once I did, I don't notice it now. 3. Quality varies, same as above. They are great at fixing or replacing, but who really wants to have to do that?

For the money, Stoly Amp. For the balance between money and features, Stoly Shift. For my favourite company and suit on whitewater, IR. I will leave the opinions about other companies to different members here.

Just my thoughts, could all be jibberish to others. Good luck.

Sprucey

Post by Sprucey » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:35 pm

Thanks Guys,

NRS I know about but who sells Stolquist in the UK - not a common name?

Sprucey

Maverick777

Re: Best Dry suit? STOHLQUIST & IR UK stockist.

Post by Maverick777 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:40 am

Hi All,

Both the STOHLQUIST and Immersion Research get favourable reviews, especially with customer care? But do we have UK stockist and if not do they need to be sent back to country of origin?

Cheers

drkdjones

Post by drkdjones » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:03 am

IR have a UK based supplier and repair centre. www.immersionresearch.eu and they’ve been very responsive.

I have an IR 7figure and have been impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk