What glue?

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
tizereyes

What glue?

Post by tizereyes » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:19 pm

I've finally decided to attach a replacement foam seat to my glass sea kayak with velcro. I can then find the perfect position!
So what glue should I use to attached the velcro to the boat?

Many thanks

Jim

Re: What glue?

Post by Jim » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:03 pm

Good question, I tried to velcro my battery box to the bulkhead but the velcro didn't last long - I may have used self adhesive velcro though, in fact I almost certainly did.

I have been using evo-stik impact adhesive (or similar contact adhesive) for gluing foam etc. into all kinds of boats for years, I'm pretty sure it will do exactly what you need.
Use the spread on stuff not the spray on which doesn't seem to be as permanent - it has a high solvent content so is usually only sold to over 18s and some hardware shops keep it behind the counter.
Follow the instructions, spread it onto both surfaces and leave to dry for about 15 minutes before putting the parts together accurately - you cannot re-position them if you miss first time.
For cloth backed velcro tape it may absorb the first 'coat' of glue and need a second coat, so best to test a little bit since the hull will only need one coat and you want them both to be ready at the same time (i.e. only do the hull with the second coat on the tape, if that is what is needed). The bigger issue is that the tape may well curl up at the edges, you might want to use some masking tape to try and hold it flat to a piece of card or something (you are going to get glue on the card too so don't tape it to an antique dining table :) )

If you try the heavy duty self adhesive velcro (Halfords used to sell it for half the price B&Q did), try gently warming the hull and tape with a heat gun (or hair drier?) first, it will make it stick better.

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:09 pm

I think I've found the perfect solution to sticking Velcro into an epoxied boat - still working fine for me after a couple of months. Have a look at my reply in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=125754

I know my boat is made with epoxy as I built it myself. Yours might be polyester, and I haven't tested my method with that, but it's got to be worth splashing out a few quid to try - that glue and accelerant combo is useful for all sorts of other stuff.

Yellerbelly

Post by Yellerbelly » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:53 pm

This would confirm what Mr. PlymouthDamo is suggesting;

Sticking foam to plastic or plastic to plastic (epoxy, polyester, nylon would all be plastics?) use superglue.

Found here | Link

. . . . Ben

Mac50L

Post by Mac50L » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:30 pm

I'd suggest caution with that chart, especially with regards to styrofoam. Try the glue on a bit of waste material first as some versions of some glues will dissolve the foam.

In the case of the original question I'd use, and do use, a contact glue.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:14 pm

I've used self adhesive velcro with good results. It does have to be the heavy-duty version, and it's essential to sand the hull a little, and then clean with acetone. I've also used it to attach deck mounted tow-line bags, albeit there I only wiped the gel coat down with acetone before applying the velcro. As Jim notes, "real" Evostick does the job too. The heavy duty, waterproof "no more nails" also works well for gluing things inside the boat. Mike

charleston14

Post by charleston14 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:54 pm

With regards to some superglues dissolving foam, you can buy "foam safe" cyanoacrylate from most model shops. Zap foam safe ca is a good quality product.
Scorpio LV

charleston14

Post by charleston14 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:00 pm

There's a product called "sticks like sh#t". I kid you not. Sold in place like jewsons,. Good for sticking metal signs to outdoor metal cabinets so could be useful in this application. Takes a while to cure but sets really firm, it's waterproof and has some flex in it.
Scorpio LV

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:25 am

This stuff works well. Clean and heat the surfaces before applying:
https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/3m-spray90 ... y-a-p43829
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

StanGuz

Post by StanGuz » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:06 pm

Apologies for no intro before the first post......

Sikaflex or CT1 are very good, specially in the marine environment.
What could possibly go wrong......?

norb

Post by norb » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:23 pm

I know what is the best ... chewing gum :)