Dry trousers - a moan and request for recommendations

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
PlymouthDamo

Dry trousers - a moan and request for recommendations

Post by PlymouthDamo » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:48 pm

The moan: I recently bought a new set of dry trousers that I was hoping to use as a lightweight alternative to my Kokatat Whirlpool Bib in warmer weather. Tried them twice - both times, ended up with a wet arse from where I'd been sitting in a wet seat for an hour or two. Why do manufacturers insist on using their flimsy breathable material on the arse? It's not going to breathe, as you're sitting on it, and it never keeps the water out.

The request for recommendations: Has anyone got a pair they can recommend? My preferences are as follows, in order of importance:
  • £100 max price-tag.
    A robust, fully waterproof arse panel. The rest of the material doesn't need to be breathable, but does need to be dry/robust, like Kokatat's Hydrus.
    Lightweight/thin. (If I want to stay warm, I'll layer up.)
    Normal-cut trousers that wouldn't look too out-of-place in the street - no skin-tight shiny stuff.
    Waist-high - i.e. not bibs. (I'll be attaching a 'skirt' to them to roll up with my dry-cag skirt to form a seal.)
    I'm not too fussed about whether it's got ankle seals or socks - I can sort that out myself. But if it has ankle seals, would prefer ones that actually work - anything which needs to be tightened with velcro is usually a no-no.
Cheers.

rockhopper

Re: Dry trousers - a moan and request for recommendations

Post by rockhopper » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:39 pm

I have to say that I found the same problem. Quite unpleasant and chilly.
I didn't get around to finding replacement semi-dry trousers but I did find that wearing shorts/pants made out of base layer material meant that I didn't actually feel wet (sounds like a nappy advert!!) and they were comfortable and warm too.

Rog.

Allan Olesen

Post by Allan Olesen » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:16 pm

How about improving the ones you already have? I haven't tried, but I guess you come a long way by using this for reinforcement/sealing:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_no ... lco+t-5500

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:29 pm

Thanks Rog, but I'm after something I can either wear on shore trips to the pub or quickly swap for some trousers without having sopping wet pants underneath! (My Kokatat Hydrus bib does keep you 100% dry, but it's too big/heavy for hot weather and having experienced truly dreadful customer service from them, I'd prefer to look for another manufacturer.)

Allen - I had considered adding my own panel to the ones I'd bought, but decided it would be too messy. I haven't seen that iron-on patch material before. I wonder if anyone who's used it could comment on whether it's up to the job?

Pyro

Post by Pyro » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:28 pm

Look up Dam Watersports. Custom cut, not overly expensive, and a thicker cut of fabric, might be what you need.
-------
Pyro's Yard - Random Wafflings

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:16 pm

I did have Dam in mind as I've heard good things about them over the years. However, as they don't have a website or retailers, I always end up taking the easy route and buying from companies that do. I've now bitten the bullet and emailed him to see if he can make what I'm after and get a quote.

Thanks for the suggestion - will let you know if it comes to anything.

Allan Olesen

Post by Allan Olesen » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:20 pm

PlymouthDamo wrote:I haven't seen that iron-on patch material before. I wonder if anyone who's used it could comment on whether it's up to the job?
I haven't used it. I just stumbled upon it when I was buying melt tape for the inside of my drysuit.

Judging from the model number, the patch material seems to be a variation of those tape types. The Melco melt tape for sealing neoprene is called T-5000 and the patch material is called T-5500. And as far as I can see, Melco is in the expensive end of melt tapes, so I assume that it is good quality.

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:16 pm

Update: I was prevaricating as to whether to try to make these trousers work or just get my money back, but eventually decided to have a crack at sorting them myself. I used the patch which Allan Olesen recommended - very easy to apply, once you overcome the paranoia associated with taking a very hot iron to your expensive dry trousers. Once I'd applied the iron on it's hottest setting direct to the patch for 10 seconds, it melted on strongly/neatly and looks like it came that way from the factory. I also glued on a pair of 3D latex socks, so my feet will stay dry and I don't have to worry about the ankle seals not working because of my skinny tendony ankles.

Tested them tonight. Waded the boat into the water to launch it, did loads of rolls to make sure there was plenty of water sloshing round in the cockpit and did an hour and a half of hard paddling, sitting in a puddle. It felt like my arse was getting wet, but when I took the dry trousers off, my thin cotton trousers underneath were bone dry.

So I've got high hopes for these trousers - they offer precious little insulation (hence me feeling like I was getting wet, which doesn't happen in my heavier Kokatats) but keep me dry. For the record, they're Peak Semi Pants. I shouldn't really recommend them, as Peak should have used a sensible material on the arse, but if you're prepared to do the modification, they should be good for the summer. I also plan to attach a 'skirt' around the inner side of the waist, which I'll then roll up (dry-bag style) around a corresponding skirt fitted to my dry cag, making a decent seal. I've been experimenting with this approach with my kokatat gear and can get about 10 minutes worth of dry swimming before anything starts to seep in. My workmanship has been dreadful though, so there's a lot of room for improvement if I do a better job.

Allan Olesen

Post by Allan Olesen » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:41 pm

Glad to hear it worked out. Perhaps I should buy some of that stuff myself.

thekracken

Post by thekracken » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:00 pm

The tape is available on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112358989692? ... Track=true
Hoping this is the same.

michelin

Post by michelin » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:55 am

Kokatat do pants like what you are after I have a pair they are called Tempest pants. If you shop around I'm sure you could get them for a little over £100 ideal in the warmer months. They are made of their Hydrus material. Don't think you'll stay very dry if you take a swim but I am pleased with mine.
https://kokatat.com/product/hydrus-3l-t ... cks-ptuhtp