first plastic sea kayak advice

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
charleston14

first plastic sea kayak advice

Post by charleston14 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:02 pm

I'm interested in getting a sea kayak, presently paddle a Charleston 14 on a large river, looking for something a bit more efficient. Not wanting an expedition boat, happy with low volume, I'm not a big guy 10 stone, not tall, skinny waist.

Suggestions?
Looking for something that's fairly stable, not overly "play biased", skeg boat, that will turn ok.
Maybe a tempest 160?
Capella? - bit more expedition based, minimal rocker - not sure that's right for me
Venture jura?
Others?
Also what are the pros and cons of swede and fish form?
Scorpio LV

buntz

Re: first plastic sea kayak advice

Post by buntz » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:30 pm

i can vouch for the scorpio as a good starting point, but i would say that as im selling my lv on this very site! however i went from an easky 15 to the scorpio and found it to be super stable and much quicker in a straight line, ive never used the "expedition" side of things ie not paddled it laden with tents etc.. i mostly paddle on the canal here in bude as and when the kids/tide/wind all combine to allow me. have just got a delphin as im looking to get some more action in on the north cornish coast this summer.
buntz

Irish Sea

Re: first plastic sea kayak advice

Post by Irish Sea » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:11 pm

A Valley Avocet should work well for you if you can get your hands on a good 2nd hand one. More Day/Weekend boat, rather playful but no slouch in a straight line either. Would be a good size for you I recon.

Also very much recommended is the Northshore Atlantic LV. Again right size and volume for you and a great allrounder. Has a bit higher leg/knee position than the Avocet.