easky skeg help.

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
charleston14

easky skeg help.

Post by charleston14 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:29 pm

Easky kayak missing it's skeg, where can I get a replacement? Easy to make one? Similar / same as a piranha fusions skeg ?
Scorpio LV

PlymouthDamo

Re: easky skeg help.

Post by PlymouthDamo » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:48 pm

You can make your own skeg very easily - it's what Nick Crowhurst specifies in his Shrike build manual. His one is made from two pieces of 3mm marine plywood laminated together with epoxy glue. Then just cut out the shape you need, plane/sand the edges to streamline it and paint it with a couple of coats of epoxy resin. I don't know how the Easky skeg is configured, but on the shrike, the skeg-wire is permanently attached - you just cut a slot in your skeg, fray the end of the wire and fix it into the slot with thickened epoxy resin. However you could epoxy in whatever fittings you need.

I know plywood doesn't sound strong enough, but it's actually very robust but not too robust - if you get surged fully-loaded side-on into rocks with your skeg down, you want your skeg to break, not your skeg-box. Nick will send you the build manual for free - have a look on the Shrike thread on here.

charleston14

Re: easky skeg help.

Post by charleston14 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:09 am

Great thanks, much appreciated.
Scorpio LV