Bow deck clutter

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
blueythe

Bow deck clutter

Post by blueythe » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:18 pm

Trying to reduce the clutter on the front deck and would like to store my bilge pump and paddle float inside the cockpit so they are handy in case of a swim but secure. There is room underneath the thigh braces and beside the seat in my Delphin. Any suggestions on how to secure them or alternative storage options. Ta.

PlymouthDamo

Re: Bow deck clutter

Post by PlymouthDamo » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:49 pm

I recently sorted out the cockpit storage on all my boats and found a neat little trick with velcro. Even when you buy industrial-grade velcro, the weak link is usually the adhesive backing which is supposed to stick the stuff to your boat/pump/whatever. It never works. However, by using superglue and accelerant, you can really strongly bond the velcro to your boat/pump/whatever. Just dribble the superglue directly onto the adhesive side of the velcro, spray whatever you want to stick it to with accelerant and then push them together for a few seconds and you're done. So far, I've tried it on epoxy/fibreglass, nylon, sponge and closed-cell foam and it's been rock-solid. You need to use the right accelerant for your brand of superglue. I use stuff from ToolStation - 'EverBuild acti-spray' (p43 of their catalogue) and any EverBuild superglue (p.42)

Once you've got industrial grade velcro working for you, then securing stuff in your cockpit is easy. I've got room to secure my pump to the underside of my deck between my legs, however I had to shorten it first. This involved dismantling it and hacksawing the plastic barrel and plunger down to size. I can accidentally kick it when getting into the boat and it doesn't budge. All the other little bits and bobs are just stuck to the sides, mainly along the aft-cockpit bulkhead where they're out of the way.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:28 pm

Not sure what the Delphin has, but my boat has rails that run forward to the footrest. I've put a loop of bungee round the rail, and push the pump into the loop

sleepyfolk

Post by sleepyfolk » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:39 pm

Or alternatively say goodbye to bow deck clutter and hello rear deck clutter!

I couldn't fit anything inside the delphin cockpit (but I guess we're all different shapes and sizes), so if i take my paddle float it clips to the rear deck lines , and I fitted a couple of bungee loops to the recessed deck fittings closest to the rear of the cockpit, the little red blobs on the bungee make it a bit easier to get on and off

blueythe

Post by blueythe » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:47 pm

Many thanks for all the replies. got a new delphin with day hatch, so the rear storage is not really an option now. velcro seems like a neat idea so I'll investigate this further.

sleepyfolk

Post by sleepyfolk » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:11 pm

If you got rid of that useless mini front storage pocket you'd have room to Velcro stuff between your legs probably

Fast Pat

Post by Fast Pat » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:28 am

If you paddle with a group you may want to access your pump for others, not just when you go for a swim. A pump and map are the only two things I keep on my deck.

TheEcho

Post by TheEcho » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:53 pm

How does rear deck storage work with re-entry? You will be using the paddle float but do you have to move the pump and towline before climbing back on?

sleepyfolk

Post by sleepyfolk » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:22 am

No I shuffled over it without issue when I tried it out, the pump will move if necessary just by flicking the bungee on one side and is easy to put back on wth onehand behind you, it's just a backup for my electric pump, I prefer to heel hook with someone holding the boat if I need to, not that I'm falling to every five minutes!