Source for replacement Skeg?

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
Mark Graham

Source for replacement Skeg?

Post by Mark Graham » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:07 pm

Anyone know anywhere in the UK that will sell a replacement skeg blade? Might be needing one for a Necky Chatham......

rockhopper

Re: Source for replacement Skeg?

Post by rockhopper » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:50 am

I would have thought your best bet would be to email Necky in America and see what they advise. It may be as easy to get one sent direct from them rather than going through UK dealer.

Rog.

Mark Graham

Post by Mark Graham » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:59 am

Thanks Rog, that was my first thought too - they've been helpful with advice etc but 'don't mail direct to the UK' for some reason. They have suggested a retailer who might be able to help and I'm waiting for a reply from them. In the meantime I've found a couple of places that might help (the trick was to search for 'skeg blade' rather than skeg) but need to confirm compatibility etc.

Cheers

Mark

Update -should have tried this earlier but it shows the value of thinking through what you put in to a search engine. I've been trying 'skeg' 'replacement skeg' etc, then as above 'skeg blade' was more successful. However I've just searched on 'Replacement skeg for necky chatham' and come across a USA site that will ship one....

adventureagent

Post by adventureagent » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:31 pm

Maybe your original can serve as a template to cut one from plexiglas or some other plastic ? Great winter activity. I recall this group lists a host of fix procedures for skegs.
CELEBRATE LIFE: PADDLE by ALL MEANS !

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:16 pm

I tried some similar Google searches on your behalf, often finding this thread as top hit.

Have you tried PA Lynch (who sell Necky kayaks in the UK and might import a skeg for you more cheaply) - see http://www.palynch.co.uk/search.asp?cid=34341

swagstaff

Post by swagstaff » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:31 pm

I think it's the same as a valley Skeg blade . If you post a picture then I should be able to tell. The Skeg blades are on sea kayak oban online shop. Nb the hatch covers same as valley.
WHITEWATER ALL YEAR LONG

Mark Graham

Post by Mark Graham » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:41 pm

Sincere thanks everyone for your replies. Nobody in the UK has been able to provide one but I've now found a place in the US that will forward one direct to me for about 60 dollars, so not a lot more than buying one off the shelf if they were available here. (topkayaker.net)
Swagstaff - thanks - I've had a look at SKOs website and I've a photo of the Necky version which does look very similar. The Necky blade has a semi circular cut out near the wire insertion point which might correspond to a bulge inside the skeg box? But I'm told that 3 different valley skeg blades have been tried in this boat without success, albeit nobody has tried altering any of them. The reason for all this, as I might have said on another thread, is that I paddled a plastic Chatham belonging to a friend a few years ago and liked it. Last summer I had a paddle around Mallaig harbour in a composite version and liked it even more. I had planned to eventually replace my Perception Essence 16 with one of these but they've been discontinued and are now hard to find new, so my plans have been brought forward. I've located one that is missing the skeg, and I wanted to be sure I could get a replacement before going ahead and buying the boat.
So thanks again everyone - now awaiting delivery of kayak and skeg!
https://www.dropbox.com/home