kayak advice

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
Dean

kayak advice

Post by Dean » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:53 pm

Hi All,
I'm looking for a bit of advice on composite kayaks. I already own a plastic sea kayak for rockhopping and generally bashing about without having to worry too much (perception Essence) but am on the look out for a second hand composite boat. I've paddled the Cetus HV and the NDK Romany Surf and like them both but wondered which would be best for longer open crossings and expeditions (only ever paddled both on day trips whilst doing courses). Dimensions wise I'm approximately 6 foot, have size 11 feet and weigh about 13.5 stone. Any advice on these, or other suitable boats, would be much appreciated.

Dean

Irish Sea

Re: kayak advice

Post by Irish Sea » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:40 pm

Hi,
the Romany Surf is more of a day/weekend boat with pretty good play genes, hence the name "surf". The Cetus is a pretty versatile allrounder that would imho be much more at home on multiday trips with a loaded boat than the Romany. The NDK equivalent to the Cetus would be the Explorer or Explorer HV. You could also look at boats like the Valley Etain (prob. the 17.5), Aquanaut HV or Nordkapp, Northshore Atlantic/Ocean, Tiderace Xplore/Xcape, Rockpool GT if you are looking for a primarily multiday boat. There's dozens of other boats out there that would of course also fit the bill.

michelin

Post by michelin » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:22 am

I've done short trips in both boats but the Cetus I paddled was an MV one. Although my Surf carried almost as much gear as the Cetus MV did I found the Cetus nicer for the trip. It was faster and more comfortable but it didn't track as good as my Surf but I would still choose the Cetus over the Surf for a trip. It just eats away at the miles effortlessly. The Surf is more fun to paddle and turns better but it should do as one is an expedition boat and the other isn't. If you already have a day boat for playing about with then the Cetus would serve you well as an expedition boat. If you had an MV one you could get away with it for everything but that's only if its the right size for you. If I had to choose one boat between the two to have personally I'd choose the Surf every time only because of the paddling I do but if I wanted a boat just for longer trips then it would be the Cetus. Hope this helps a bit

swagstaff

Post by swagstaff » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:06 pm

I have a secondhand Atlantic and a Tiderace Xplore try both your choice.
pm me I am in Oban.
WHITEWATER ALL YEAR LONG

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:37 pm

All the boats recommended by Irish Sea are suitable, and many others. There are few bad boats sold now, but it does sound to me as if you want more of expedition boat than a playful day boat. I'd look for a secondhand one that's well priced for its condition and you don't have to travel far to collect. Buy it, paddle it, talk to people you meet about their boats and, if you decide you want to try a different one, you can sell it for somewhere round about what you paid - the difference will probably be less than most people spend on petrol to get to the launch point. If you find a potential boat to buy but don't know if the design is suitable, ask on here and somebody will help.

Dean

Post by Dean » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:19 pm

Hi all,
Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated. I can't justify paying £2000+ for a brand new composite boat but would certainly be interested in second hand for any of the boats recommended.

Incidentally, swagstaff, how much are you asking for for your north shore atlantic and what sort of condition is it in?

Dean

Post by Dean » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:01 pm

swagstaff wrote:I have a secondhand Atlantic and a Tiderace Xplore try both your choice.
pm me I am in Oban.
Hi swagstaff, how much are you asking for for your kayaks (particularly the north shore atlantic)?

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:48 pm

Yamba at Preston have a new North Shore Ocean 17.6 advertised on ebay (they also have a website) for £1700. It's been listed for a while so they may be open to offers as well. This would be a brand new boat for second hand money if it suits you.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/North-Shore-O ... SwG-1Wu0F9

Dean

Post by Dean » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:41 pm

Thanks for the heads up.

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:12 pm

If your in the North, Oban sea kayaks have a series of demo days happening where you can try loads of different kayaks.
Mal