Head gear for winter paddling and rolling

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
Irish Sea

Head gear for winter paddling and rolling

Post by Irish Sea » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:46 am

Hi Guys,
I was wondering if you have any recommendations for head protection, now that the water is getting colder?
I'm currently using this Reed Aquatherm hood: http://www.chillcheater.com/head-gear/aquatherm-hood
Its comfortable and works fine for keeping the wind away while paddling and sitting on the beach. It does very little though in terms of cold water protection when having the head under water. Still getting instant brain freeze.
I guess I'm looking for something that's comfortable enough to wear while paddling in bad weather but that also offers a bit more insulation under water. Also it shouldn't be too chunky as I want to be able to wear it under my (size adjustable) helmet for surf play etc.
Cheers,

Bjorn

PlymouthDamo

Re: Head gear for winter paddling and rolling

Post by PlymouthDamo » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:59 pm

I use one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wakeboard-Wak ... 2a7558f2f8

I guess it's as bulky as wearing any other beanie hat - you'll have to judge for yourself whether it would fit under your lid. I've been using mine since January this year and it seems pretty good - it fits snuggly enough that it will trap a little bit of water in there like a wetsuit does. I've been doing a lot of rolling, and I don't recall my head getting cold. I think last winter was pretty warm though, and if I needed more, I'd use my scuba diving hood, which is made out of thicker neoprene and is a full balaclava job.

kayakbiker

Post by kayakbiker » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:28 am

I was going to ask the same question.
I wear a 3mm dive hood which is great for practicing rolling in the current cold conditions in the UK. However I have to wear a dive mask to seal out the water or else the water gets into the hood. Freezing.
Also would be interested if there's a hood or hat or something that can be used without a mask that will completely keep out the water.
Cheers

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:39 pm

If you are going to do silly things like practicing rolling in cold water be sure to get some decent ear plugs. I didn't and now my ear canals are almost completely blocked by bony growths. This has caused deafness and recurrent ear infections.

http://magicseaweed.com/news/surfers-ea ... ruth/6276/

I always used a 3mm neoprene hood but that is not enough to protect your sensitive ear canals from the sudden inrush of cold water. Rolling in cold water without using ear plugs is only for idiots like I was and who are now deaf. Nowadays I only roll in the late summer months (July, August and September) when the sea is warmest and even then I use ear plugs.

Douglas

Sean_soup

Post by Sean_soup » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:28 pm

If you're just looking to avoid the brain-freeze shock of immersion, you could do worse than to try a cheapo silicone swimming cap under your lid. Works for me, though I do still get ice-cream eyebrows.

thekracken

Post by thekracken » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:50 pm

I use a neoprene beanie under my helmet and that works.

Irish Sea

Post by Irish Sea » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:11 am

I recently switched to a neoprene beanie (by ONeil) as well and it makes a very noticable difference to the Reed balaclava I used before. Still a bit chilly but not nearly as bad as before. And it fits under my helmet just fine.