Air Bags

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
blueythe

Air Bags

Post by blueythe » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:21 pm

I've seen reference in my reading that some of the more experienced sea kayakers use air bags between the foot pegs and front bulkhead. I presume this is the reduce the volume of water that can flood a kayak in a wet exit, improve overall buoyancy and also speed up the emptying of a flooded boat during re entry or rescue. Is there a real benefit here and what are peoples experience using them? secondly, what airbags do you use as most of the one's I.ve seen are tapered for use in WW boats. thanks

pathbrae

Re: Air Bags

Post by pathbrae » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:16 pm

Not sure about air bags - but I've put in closed cell foam to fill the empty space in front of the footrests.
I don't know how robust an airbag would be or how easy it would be to hold it in place?
So much sea - so little time to see it.

Joe S

Post by Joe S » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:22 pm

As posted above; I use a close cell foam to fill any gap between bulkhead and footrest.

Additional I have air bags in both front and rear hatches to fill any space, especially when playing near rocks!

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Post by Mark Gawler » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:21 am

I would avoid anything that could potentially cause an entrapment hazard. Air bags are notoriously difficult to secure. If anything a block of close cell foam glued in.
Mark Gawler

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:47 am

If you're using your own boat and are planning to keep it for a while, it's worth considering moving the front bulkhead. That's more reliable, and has the bonus of additional gear space if you're touring.

robhorton

Post by robhorton » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:39 am

To be honest I'd be surprised if you can displace enough water to make it worthwhile - if the front and rear compartments are intact it's fairly easy to get the water out and it's possible (but not particularly pleasant) to paddle with a cockpit of water if necessary. If the front or rear compartments are flooded you've got problems which I don't think a small airbag / foam block will help much with.

I have seen people put airbags in the front and rear compartments which is probably a good idea although I've not done it myself thus far.

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:27 am

Yup, I've used an aig bag behind a footplate. Large quantities of CC foam can weigh quite a bit. When a kayak is already above 20kg, you notice every extra 500g. I also use float tubes to provide "internal sponsons" to which I can mount pipe lagging foam.

e.g.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5iylrpcx3vx2 ... G_0407.JPG
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

twopigs

Post by twopigs » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:24 am

TechnoEngineer wrote:Yup, I've used an aig bag behind a footplate. Large quantities of CC foam can weigh quite a bit. When a kayak is already above 20kg, you notice every extra 500g. I also use float tubes to provide "internal sponsons" to which I can mount pipe lagging foam.

e.g.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5iylrpcx3vx2 ... G_0407.JPG
According to Weber & Feckner https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weber%E2%80%93Fechner_law noticing 500g in 20 kg might not be possible! But you do get to the point where you just can't lift the boat on your own!
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

blueythe

Post by blueythe » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:02 pm

Hmm! I like the idea of airbags in the hatches if you are rock hopping at the extreme edge of the sport-I'm not. Moving the bulkhead would also be great if I could do this and maintain the strength and integrity-not sure I can. Probably only leaves me with the CCF to fill the space. Sponsons, footplate and airbag looks interesting but don't quite understand the sponsons and presumably the footplate has to fixed to the hull. Has left me wondering whether there is any advantage in any of the modifications.

Many thanks for all your comments, has given me more food for thought

Phizz4

Post by Phizz4 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:17 pm

My first aid kit and bothy bag (well wrapped in dry bag and polythene), live in the space between the bulkhead and the foot brace (I have a Rockpool so it is a large, full-width foot brace). This fills some otherwise dead space and reduces the volume a bit and also makes them very accessible.

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:34 pm

When you start practising Re-entry and roll, you will appreciate the benefit from reducing cockpit volume, and particularly how fitting internal sponsons makes a kayak far more easily paddleable when full of water sloshing around. Without the sponsons a flooded kayak loses its form stability and effectively becomes a log.
http://nordkyndesign.com/transverse-sta ... damentals/
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Post by Mark Gawler » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:51 am

TechnoEngineer wrote: sponsons
Sponsons is a banned word on these forums, people have been banned for less :-)
Mark Gawler

jet

Post by jet » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:44 am

Some air bags are definitely worthwhile :-)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kmise-Inflatab ... +protector