VHF Radio - security?

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
owain harris

VHF Radio - security?

Post by owain harris » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:14 am

I know there are lots of previous forums that cover choice, model, make of radio, method of charging and the inherent problems with each of them - ignoring all that for a moment, how do you secure yours to yourself/BA/clothing? I know that some of them are quite happy being exposed to the elements, and rinsing off afterwards etc, do you use lanyards, clips, rubber bands…what?
Thanks!

Irish Sea

Re: VHF Radio - security?

Post by Irish Sea » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:27 am

Belt clip of radio clips into shoulder strap on my BA. Lanyard secured to BA by small carabiner for extra security.

owain harris

Post by owain harris » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:52 am

Irish Sea wrote:Belt clip of radio clips into shoulder strap on my BA. Lanyard secured to BA by small carabiner for extra security.
Thanks IrishSea!

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:56 pm

I always attach the lanyard to my BA too, I think that is the normal way - most if mot all sets come with a lanyard, it may look a bit thin, but probably nothing thicker will fit through the lanyard mount point anyway.

Anyone ever had a supplied lanyard break on them?

Maarten Z

Post by Maarten Z » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:13 pm

I have removed the belt clip from my HX280E and replaced it with a plastic cable clamp (like this http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/ ... 7GFFJQ.jpg). I secure the radio with a piece of 4mm cord to my BA. My radio lives inside a BA pocket, a bit of work to get it out when you need it but (I think) it keeps the pressure from pounding waves off it and I can still hear it clearly when stowed.
No waterproof bag around it for me, so far so good.

Jersey Kayak

Post by Jersey Kayak » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:18 pm

Even the waterproof units we keep in Overboard bags attached to the PFD via the cord of the Overboard bag. Kept in our PFD pocket. I removed the buckle clip on both our Standard Horizon and Icom units to reduce bulk and reduce the risk of damage to the bags. Some PFD front pockets are a nicer fit for VHF radios than others.

The type of cord used is only part of the story. Consider the fastening points as well. Overall I have found both the cords supplied and the fastening clips on our Peak and Palm PFD's to be adequate for the job and none have yet broken in spite of some heavy use.

By keeping the VHF in our PFD pocket it is ready for use and means that if you ended up separated form your kayak you still have some communication.

On the more advanced trips many of he group carry VHF radios. All are carried on their person and switched on an using an inter-ship channel so we can easily communicate between each other.
On some trips we carry mobile phones (in an Overboard bag or similar) in our PFD pockets as we have very good reception around our coastline. Again, using the cord supplied with the bags without any problem.

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:39 pm

Waterproof bag and lanyard onto my BA for me. Even though it's waterproof, I've found that if water gets into the speaker I can hardly hear the radio.

I'm always a bit cautious about using too strong a cord / attachment for anything in my BA pockets. Strong enough to avoid loosing anything if I drop it (did I say if.... WHEN I drop it...) - but hopefully it would break if it became snagged on anything in an entrapment or caught on a rock in surf etc.
So much sea - so little time to see it.

robhorton

Post by robhorton » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:38 am

I just keep mine in my BA pocket without any attachment (It's waterproof and floats). I could clip it on but the (non-floating) compass and gps are already on the pocket clip of my BA so I suspect a third thing would lead to tangles.

john.ruston

Post by john.ruston » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:07 am

https://www.nightgear.co.uk/en-UK/searc ... io%20pouch

Its a bit more clutter on the pfd but are cheap, solidly constructed and keep pockets free for other things.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:32 am

My partner uses a more minimalistic approach and larks-head's the wrist loop on her set thro the D ring on the BA. Both of us just stow the sets in the BA electronics pouch - mine is beginning to suffer a bit of s/water corrosion around the aerial, but that's after 8 or 9 years.

Erling

Post by Erling » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:16 am

MikeB wrote: mine is beginning to suffer a bit of s/water corrosion around the aerial, but that's after 8 or 9 years.
Mine is also an M-71, and I use it without a pouch. To prevent corrosion, I use silicone grease on the threads and it seems to have worked well without affecting the reception (the kind used to lubricate O-rings). I have considered applying a liberal coating of Plasti-Dip on the seam but never got around to it.
The older I get, the better I used to be.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:26 pm

I note the seams on mine are beginning to show signs of corrosion - likewise some of the screws - the worst is the aerial / body interface. Still, it works and given it's age I'm not complaining. A touch of GT85 seems to help, and that's certainly been used on the screws over the years as a matter of regular maintenance.