Retro Fit Recessed Deck Fittings ?

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
Daker

Retro Fit Recessed Deck Fittings ?

Post by Daker » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:53 am

Anyone know if its possible to buy Retro Fit Recessed Deck Fittings ?

By that I mean ones which do not require a pre-existing recess but instead ones for which a suitable hole can be cut, the fitting inserted and glued / fibre glassed in place, leaving a flush top surface.

I have a desire to fit additional fittings to one of my boats but really want to avoid the fittings which stand proud of the deck if at all possible.
I have seen something like this on some ocean surf skis but suspect those are specific to the manufacturer and not available on the retail market.

Thanks a lot.

PlymouthDamo

Re: Retro Fit Recessed Deck Fittings ?

Post by PlymouthDamo » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:54 am

My mate manufactures 'maroske' fittings on his 3D printer. (Google therm to find out what they are.) I've used them on all the three boats I've built - installation is a matter of cutting a couple of holes and glueing them in place with epoxy. If they will do what you're after, message me and I'll get a price off him. From memory, it's about £2 per fitting.

Mikebelluk

Post by Mikebelluk » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:16 pm

I used these type on my kayak:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SURFBOARD-LEA ... 2319506571

Just rough up the surface a bit before you glass them in.

Daker

Post by Daker » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:41 am

Great, thanks for the suggestions guys.

I had thought about the idea of surf leash inserts but figured they are designed to be recessed into a foam board which gives a large surface area to bond to.
Did you add any additional reinforcement underneath the deck or just rely on the bond to the edge of the deck laminate ?

Mikebelluk

Post by Mikebelluk » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:13 pm

Mask off top of insert with masking tape as well as deck, cut hole, and use thickened resin to embed it in boat smoothing off with a spatula or fingers in rubber glove, with a couple of circles of wetted out 200gm cloth over it. When its set you can sand it nice and smooth and lay a piece of fine tissue mat over the bump.
Epoxy resin and West System microfibres will be better than polyester.
Nigel Dennis used to use these inserts too, and put me onto them when I was building my cedar strip boat.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:06 pm

And clean off the surfaces with acetone before you do anything ---