Waterproof camera thoughts?

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
Robert Craig

Waterproof camera thoughts?

Post by Robert Craig » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:24 pm

I've lost my trusty Optio WP (Dr Wilcox's favorite camera).

Any recommendations for a replacement? I'm looking for something I can drop in the sea, use one handed if necessary, small enough for a BA pocket. Don't need GPS or WiFi - just pictures.

Olympus TG4 looks attractive .... anyone got an opinion?

banzer

Re: Waterproof camera thoughts?

Post by banzer » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:32 pm

I've had the Olympus - was good - dropped it in a river and lost it.
Also had the Panasonic one - also good - dropped it in a river and lost it.
Currently have a much cheaper Nikon Coolpix S32 which seems ok, pictures are alright, but I now have a FLOATING WRIST STRAP which stays attached at all times!

Possibly more important (to me anyway) than any fancy specs!
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

uwcamerakev

Post by uwcamerakev » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:00 pm

I've owned and abused an old Olympus tough for ........ many years, it's starting to corrode and has been dropped so many times I've lost count, it goes W/W, Sea, open boating and surfing, the results are still great and attached to the inside of my buoyancy aid pocket, via a cord I have never lost it on a river, only at home when somebody decides to tidy :)
Funny thing is, it only ever takes photos of other paddlers !

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:19 pm

banzer wrote:..... I now have a FLOATING WRIST STRAP which stays attached at all times! ....

Mine was attached to me whenever I was near water, and didn't get lost in about 7 years. Lent it to someone for 3 hours and they lost it ....

Blutack

Post by Blutack » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:22 pm

I have an Olympus TG4, bought because it came out top in all the magazine reviews.

Generally, I'm very pleased with it, but make the following observations:

1) I wish it had more zoom. Lots of photos of small kayaks against a backdrop, which look far better when cropped to make the kayak fill the frame.
2) Photos of sunrise / sunset tend to have a circular splodge in the middle of them. This is because the camera has a permanent 'window' in front of the lens, rather than a standard dust cover shutter. This tends to pick up a reflection off the lens when taking photos directly into the light.
3) The doors close with one catch, then lock closed using a little button. This isn't perfect, and I've had the doors come open on me when inside my PFD pocket. Obviously if I'd taken a tumble with the doors open, that would probably have been game over for the camera.

I hope that helps!

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:03 pm

Yes I got the TG4. It definitely helps to shoot in RAW file format as you can recover poorly exposed shots that are write offs if shot as jpgs. The clear lens cover has to be kept spotlessly clean especially for into the light shots. I always carry lens wipes but spit and finger are better than nothing. The anti reflective screen will get very scratched. Rinse well after each use. It is better than most small cameras but is still fidly to use. I find the rotating mode selector keeps getting nudged round putting and taking out of pockets and that has led to quie a few dissapointments.

Douglas

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:51 pm

Thanks - I'm going for the TG4.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that my local independent camera shop (Merchant City Cameras) offered a price £20 less than Amazon. Temporarily out of stock, though.