First Sea Kayak Used P&H Delphin

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
southendseakayaker

First Sea Kayak Used P&H Delphin

Post by southendseakayaker » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:31 pm

Looking at a used P&H Delphin as a first Sea Kayak after a long break from the sport.

Would this be suitable or should I go for a shorter touring kayak.

MikeB

Re: First Sea Kayak Used P&H Delphin

Post by MikeB » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:07 pm

What do you want to do with it?

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:42 pm

You should find the Delphin pretty perfect as an all round boat. Good initial and secondary stability, manoeuvrable, resilient. Also surfs well. Your best bet is to read up on reviews to see if it is the sort of thing you are looking for. Other ones to look out for as well respected boats are Scorpios. It does depend so much on your requirements, experience, wallet size and so forth.
Douglas Wilcox's site is very good for doing reviews of such boats. He seems quite unbiased. Here are some links:
http://seakayakphoto.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... t-and.html

https://pinkandgeek.wordpress.com/2008/ ... io-review/

Rog.

southendseakayaker

Post by southendseakayaker » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:15 pm

MikeB wrote:What do you want to do with it?
Going to be a bit of everything to start with. Exploring the local estuary day trips and overnight camps in dorset, devon and perhaps further.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:40 pm

If you are doing those sort of trips I wouldn't have thought going shorter than a Delphin would be a good idea both from the ease of paddling distances and volume of storage capacity.

Rog.

southendseakayaker

Post by southendseakayaker » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:38 am

Thanks for the links, the reviews seem to rate the kayak.

Any other options of plastic kayaks I should think about?

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:27 am

There are lots of plastic boats out there so I guess you need to get a better idea of exactly what you want. Are you after a proper sea kayak which may be up to 17 feet long or is the Delphin the sort of maximum size you want to go to. Are you restricted, length wise, as to where you can store it? How big /tall are you?
Certainly in terms of crossover boats the Delphin does tick a lot of boxes, not too long yet long enough to use for longer trips out, user friendly, comfortable and controlable with enough hatch space for a reasonable amount of gear.
Other ones you could look at are, probably top of the list, the P&H Scorpio. again it's a well respected good all round boat. There is also the Easky (in various lengths). That has a much flatter bottom to it so has more primary stability but is a boat you are likely to grow out of fairly quickly.
If you have existing paddling experience then the Delphin or the Scorpio would be the ones that you would get the most out of and would be ones you could keep for years.

Possibly worth seeing if any kayak dealers near to you who could let you have a test paddle of both. You could try Kent Canoes at Wrotham or Whitewater the Canoe centre at Shepperton.

Rog.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:14 pm

The poly Northshore Atlantic is very well thought of. Nothing wrong with the later (3 hatch) P&H Capellas either. All are much more the "proper" sea kayak although as noted the Delphin is highly regarded and is recognised as a good cross-over boat.

PhilAyr

Post by PhilAyr » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:26 am

The Scorpio mk2 with corelite x is a completely different boat to that of the mk1 version as linked by rockhopper.

I paddle the Scorpio mk2 corelite and I love it ! It does everything I want a boat to do. Good initial and secondary stability, manoeuvrable and more than enough room for touring. In my opinion the boat is ideal for a novice paddler.

Douglas Wilcox review : http://seakayakphoto.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... first.html

regards,

Phil

southendseakayaker

Post by southendseakayaker » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:31 pm

Thanks all. Lots to think about!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:42 pm

If you can get a Delphin without travelling too far for it, and you pay no more that it's worth for the condition, I would say just do it, and go paddle it. If you decide after a few months that you have a better idea of what you want, you'll be able to sell it on for minimal difference in price.

mikehh

Post by mikehh » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:24 pm

I bought a Delphin as my first sea kayak when they first came out after trying several boats on a demo weekend at Summit to Sea in Anglesey. I wanted a boat that I felt confident in and not forever worried about tipping in as soon as conditions picked up. Its totally met my expectations in that respect and is great fun when condition do pick up. It is not as compromised on speed as one might imagine, though clearly not a speedster and as an added bonus, it fits in my garage.

thekracken

Post by thekracken » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:13 pm

Capellas are brilliant as first boats as are the Delphins and Scorpios. the only issue can be the P&H skegs on older models (unsure whether they have fixed this problem yet).