Towing

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
sleepyfolk

Towing

Post by sleepyfolk » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:26 pm

My brother in law and I are both about to invest in tow lines and our discussions have raised a couple of differences of opinion and some questions I thought I'd pose to you experts out there!

1. He's after a waist tow, I think the last thing I would want hanging off my waist in moderate surf is a kayak full of water and a body, surely the weight of that yanking at you is just a bad idea? It seems that our local legend Jeff of sea kayaking Cornwall produces his own though via HF so it must be ok? For towing my nephew when he's tired in calm waters I can see it being useful. I'd appreciate any comments or experience on waist towing please.

2. Personally I'm after a deck mounted system, any views out there on the Northwater set up? http://northwater.com/collections/tow-l ... w-line-pro

3. We both have P&H Delphins, they have a rudimentary "security" bar bolted through the rear deck, initially I didn't think it would be up to using as a towing attachment but I did read on here that someone had without issue, I think I saw mention of it on doug wilcox's blog (sorry Doug if it was somewhere else!), we are not likely to be out in large surf so any opinions on whether it would be strong enough?

twopigs

Re: Towing

Post by twopigs » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:43 am

The Peak towline is highly recommended see:
http://www.aswatersports.co.uk/shop/pro ... b27e6fa393

Note also the deck mounted cleat in the picture showing it mounted on the boat .... designed for quick release - those security bars are not.
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:05 am

Hello Sleepy yes I do use the P&H security bar to mount a tow line. I attach a waterski quick release shackle to the bar and the towline to the quick release.

http://www.force4.co.uk/force-4-quick-r ... 9kSvOu6mrU

You can get cheap Chinese copies of these for about £13 but they are a waste of money as they do not release when under load.

On my system I use a throw bag to contain the tow rope and have a stainless steel carabiner attached to the other end of the tow rope which passes through the bottom of the tow bag. So the bag is at the towing end rather than the kayak end of the tow line.

Douglas

sleepyfolk

Post by sleepyfolk » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:26 am

That's great thanks, that's what I'll do then, I've ordered a QR shackle

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:38 am

There are pros and cons to each system. A waist tow does allow flexibility in that you'll always have it, irrespective of what boat you use. On the negative side, you've already identified the issue! And from personal experience, I can affirm that your concern is very valid.

I have a waist tow - an old Palm one which has been modified with a longer line rather than the short tape supplied - which I sometimes wear in addition to my preferred set-up, which is a deck mounted Valley tow system. Again, mine has been modified to suit my personal preference as to how it deploys. I've outlined thoughts on towing and tow lines in this article. It's not meant to be a definitive thesis, merely a compilation of thoughts and my own experiences as well as feed back and informed advice from folk far more expert than I!

As you'll see, my preference for quick release is a side mounted cleat, but that's largely because I'm not sufficiently flexible to be able to rotate enough to reach a release directly behind me.

All this said, you've now ordered your line. May I suggest also having a knife? My apologies of course if you already have / know this. Mike

sleepyfolk

Post by sleepyfolk » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:54 am

Well I've ordered the hook to attach it to the bar on the deck, haven't got as far as the rope yet! Yes I have got a knife in my BA, I'll have a look at you article, thanks

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:21 am

The great thing about a waist mount is that you can lend it to someone else to tow you.