Lendal Norkskapp button failure

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
Nicktamar

Lendal Norkskapp button failure

Post by Nicktamar » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:44 pm

The 12.5 mm button on my 15 year old Lendal Nordskapp paddles is failing - I've ordered a replacement from Celtic Paddles - but it's too small and they say they can't replace it and have suggested a metal system which doesn't look any good.Does anyone out there have any thoughts? The paddles have given me really excellent service and I am loath to replace them. I would paste in a pic but not sure how to do it.

Incayak

Re: Lendal Norkskapp button failure

Post by Incayak » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:34 pm

You'll get a response if you post this in the Sea Kayaking section . . . . [thread moved by Moderator]

Does the paddle have the Lendal padlock system? (Push button and allen key screw)

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:27 pm

Advice on posting pictures here

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:58 pm

Someone on here might have a broken pair of the same vintage which could be used for parts.

One other option would be to fix the joint with some epoxy and use them as a one piece - not ideal, but better than binning them.
So much sea - so little time to see it.

Nicktamar

Post by Nicktamar » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:15 pm

Thanks for that. Might drill a smaller hole in the paddles to get the replacement button to fit. Should do the trick without weakening it too much.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:49 pm

Is this the Padlok system, or the sprung button?

Nicktamar

Post by Nicktamar » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:45 pm

Think it's padlok. There is a s s coiled spring which sits inside the button.

Nicktamar

Post by Nicktamar » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:50 pm

...and re the above I see that the padlok system has an allen key. Mine does not - the spring is set in a snug housing that slides into the haft of the paddle. The button is kept vertical by two flanges - and the problem is that one of the flanges has broken off so the button jams.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:30 am

Picture please - "how to " here.

I suspect you're describing the "sprung button" rather than a Padlok - but pics would help.

Nicktamar

Post by Nicktamar » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:25 pm

Thanks Mike - link to pic is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dg538w0h45n9r ... n.pdf?dl=0
Then old broken button is the one on the left - the new one sent by Celtic on the right - and is too small clearly.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:33 am

Interesting. There are two types of button used in the Padlok system. The white one is the recessed type used in the (now discontinued version of) the Varilok. This was a length and feather adjustable set-up. As per the top picture.

The primary Varilok button isn't recessed, it's black, as illustrated by the lower picture.

In both cases, the hole is 9.7 and the button diameter 9.6.

ImageImage

Back in the day, they also offered a simple V shaped spring made from a strip of metal, with a pressed button, as a two-part. Clearly yours isn't that.

But, and here's the quandary, in both cases, the Varilok innards are a two part round'ish part - your picture appears to show a more square / rectangular bit. I have Lendals of similar age to yours and certainly they have what I recognise as the usual Varilok button. I don't recognise yours at all I'm afraid. Can you maybe send the whole thing back to Celtic Paddles and let them see what's what?

I do wonder if perhaps someone has "created" a two-part using a non-Lendal spring button? What's the history of the paddle? Could this button perhaps be a Werner one? I know they had a similar sort of arrangement, but I've never seen the innards of one. I do know it was just a sprung insert, without the locking arrangement provided by the ingenious system that is the Varilok.

If yours doesn't have the facility to tighten it with an allen key (and you've not mentioned that) then it could well be that it's not a Padlok at all. Maybe someone with an older Werner could chip in with sizes / pictures?? I say "older" as I believe they changed their button system in the last few years.

Nicktamar

Post by Nicktamar » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:30 pm

Thanks again Mike. Re the paddle's history - I bought it new back in 1999 ish at Kayaks and Paddles in Plymouth - and they put me onto Celtic - and that's as far as I've got. I think I'll probably soldier on with the faulty paddle - and when the button seizes for good I'll try and fit the smaller new one - and if that fails bite the bullet and buy another set of paddles. All best Nick

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:56 pm

Nick, in what dimension is the new button too small? Is it the size of the button in the hole, or the size of the fitting in the shaft diameter? I can't quite tell from the photo.

For many years Lendal shafts have had 27mm Internal diameter, if yours is 27mm the new button should fit the diameter, but you may need to unscrew it a few turns to make it initially snug. There is enough adjustment in the screw to allow the mechanism to be inserted easily (unless it falls over) fully screwed out, and when fully screwed in the mechanism should be long enough to expand the spigot and even break it open if it is not inside the opposite shaft. Does the spigot on yours have slots each side to allow it to expand to lock the joint? If not cut short slots along the spigot at 90 degrees from the button hole (don't take them right to the end of the spigot) using a dremel or similar and it should be possible to make your joint work like the current version (I say current, I first had one of these in 2001, I wonder if yours was a very short lived variant?).
The spring loaded button is just for initial alignment, the expanded mechanism is what actually holds the joint in place.

If the shaft is other than 27mm ID, or the problem is the size of the button itself the above won't be applicable.

If the button is too small, could you fill the hole with say epoxy and microfibres mix, and then re-drill to a suitable size?

Nicktamar

Post by Nicktamar » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:46 pm

Thanks Jim - I 've checked the internal diameter and I think it's about 28 mm - but anyway there's no adjustment possible on the button I have - so I think we're talking about a different system. However your suggestion of expoxy and micro fibres has the stoke of genius about it! I have both - but never thought of trying it here. Will - when the mechanism finally gives up the ghost ( it does work but locks infuriatingly usually just when you don't want it - launching kayak and paddling off in front of admiring onlookers) - give that a whirl and will let you know how I get on. Thanks again!