How do you store your sea kayaks^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
kayak1

How do you store your sea kayaks^

Post by kayak1 »

Just purchased a sea kayak...I have built a wooden cradle with a hefty padding around the edges, these are on the V parts of the boat, as I think will be harder to deform over time...the boat is plastic..I have heard of storing it upside down, in a similar way, but its very awkward in a limited space in a garage with 3 inch's spare either side. just wondering how others store their sea kayaks..The kayak shop I purchased it from, stores his in the same way..

MikeB

Re: How do you store your sea kayaks

Post by MikeB »

Although the singles are now stored upside down, purely to protect the decks from sun / UV as the T/race red faded - and badly.

From http://www.ukseakayakguidebook.co.uk/st ... utions.htm

Big Fish

Post by Big Fish »

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo »

I've strapped a 20" bike tyre up to one of the rafters in my garage close to the side wall. I carry my boat in and poke the bow through the tyre and then sit the stern down on a cradle I've bolted to the side wall. The boat sits upright. I made the cradle myself from plywood and epoxy - it's the exact profile of the stern and well-padded with high density foam. It's effortless to slide the boat im and it keeps it very secure and up out of the way. (NB - mine's a very light plywood boat I built myself, incorporating very strong fibreglass/epoxy spars - I'd say it was immune to sagging whilst supported at two points in this way, but that might not be the case for a heavier, more-plastic boat.)

I also made my own cockpit cover to keep the creepy crawlies out of it. So long as you've got access to a sewing machine, it's a doddle - there's a how-to video on Youtube.

kayak1

Post by kayak1 »

I managed to set up this rack..heavily padded shaped keel supports and padded slatted other supports under the bulkheads. Seems to work OK at the moment..14.5ft boat in a 15ft Garage.. Phew! just fits.

dowdrey

Post by dowdrey »

Three storage solutions that might be of interest are shown in the pic.
There is a homemade wall cradle for the Scorpio, padded suitcase stands (chucked out by local hotel) for the ply Shrike, and slings from the roof beams (usually 2” webbing, but rope temporarily) for a 70s vintage composite Umnak. All do the job without apparent damage to the boats, loading from/to cradle or stands can be done without help. The stands have the bonus that they are portable and can help with the transition to the roof rack – although at 17kg the Shrike is a breeze to load compared with the other two (both >30kg).
And a solution if your shed is wooden and your kayak is a couple of inches longer than the inside of the shed …

nicholas

Post by nicholas »

You made a nice job of the shreik