FIREFLY PRO SOLAS^

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
Robert Craig

FIREFLY PRO SOLAS^

Post by Robert Craig » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:08 pm

Anybody got an opinion about this:

https://www.acrartex.com/products/catal ... yDlfB.dpbs

?

rowlandW

Re: FIREFLY PRO SOLAS

Post by rowlandW » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:42 pm

Got one. Seems good.

Rowland

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:55 pm

That looks a neat bit of kit Robert.

I recently bought something in the same vein... a Greatland green laser flare. I have tested it in broad daylight at 4.5km distance. I was on the phone to my wife and I told her to look at a spot 1km to the right (12.5 degrees) of where I actually was. Despite this she saw very bright green flashes out the corner of her eye.

Douglas

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:26 pm

I've got an earlier Firefly model from a neighbour in the special forces who is never short on cool gadgets like this.

It's very bright. The only two weaknesses are (1) it uses a bespoke lithium battery which costs a fortune to replace and (2) the on/off slider is way too easy to operate. This new model uses AA batteries which is a huge improvement. So long as the switch design has also improved then it should be an excellent bit of kit.

That said, I've never considered taking mine out paddling. I've got a VHF, GPS on my waterproof phone and a much more compact, but still quite bright, LED light. If I were doing anything far offshore, I'd also take my GPS PLB. I guess it depends how much spare space you've got in your BA pockets.

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:39 am

Thanks

Ordered

Will post up here when I've tried it out.

I wonder whether it floats?

Robert Craig

Re: FIREFLY PRO SOLAS^

Post by Robert Craig » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:13 pm

Got it (got 2, actually).

Basically very nice and robust. Lighter than the previous strobe, and looks more robust. Should flash for longer than the strobe, though I've not checked that.

Light emitted into pretty well a hemisphere, though not surprisingly much brighter on-axis than to the side.

Nice battery cover and robust looking seal, with the battery cover held captive so's not to lose it.

Doesn't float, though a bit of foam might well fix that.

Big downside is that as supplied the switch was very stiff - I don't think I could work it with cold hands.

Fixed with a bit of silicone grease, but I suspect I'll need to remember to maintain it.

Reason I'm keen on it floating is that I'm wary about putting it in the prime spot on the BA, partly because it's the prime spot and I want other things there, and partly because if it's flashing there I'm blind - I'm definitely a victim. My thought is to have it on a leash in a pocket, so if I'm floating around I can deploy it, floating behind me so's I can still see.

PlymouthDamo

Re: FIREFLY PRO SOLAS^

Post by PlymouthDamo » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:12 pm

Robert Craig wrote:Got it (got 2, actually).
Big downside is that as supplied the switch was very stiff - I don't think I could work it with cold hands.
Sounds like a selling point to me. I'd much rather be faced with a recalcitrant switch, requiring a bit of hammering from whatever small metal objects I've got in my BA, than an already-switched-on-and-now-flat strobe.