Wobbly Corryvreckans ^

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
George Fell

Wobbly Corryvreckans ^

Post by George Fell » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:25 am

Hi folks,
The spllined spigot thing that joins my Werner Corryvreckan splits is wearing, giving a load of play in the middle of the shaft where the splits join together. They're not my main paddles, so it seems a shame to convert them into non-splits and then never use them.

Does anybody know if you can get a replacement for the splined insert?

Alternatively has anyone replaced the whole spigot and if so what other manufacturer's systems fit werner shafts?

Cheers,
George

iainballantyne

Re: Wobbly Corryvreckans

Post by iainballantyne » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:01 am

Hi George,
I had wobbly Shunas, play of 2/3mm
Please don't do what I did... I tried to fix with a little superglue dribbled into the spigot, alas it went everywhere and stuck the locking mechanism.
I've heard from a retailer who believes its slow erosion of salt water on the plastic spigot that causes it, that explanation seems fair enough... I'd used mine for five years with heavy use (my only paddles)
Having spoken with the distributor System X , I understand it can be repaired as long as you don't spew superglue into it.
Iain

Renegade

Post by Renegade » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:47 pm

Anxious to hear of any solutions to this problem.

I've got an 8 year old Ikelos and an almost 2 year old Cyprus- and both ave the same problem. The Ikelos as the old style feurrel and the Cypus as the newer style. It seems the newer style as less bearing surface inside the female part and is wearing out MUCH faster den the old style (that as a full bearing surface).

The newer style Cyprus as worn as much in <2years as the Ikelos wore in 6 years. Which is rather disappointing give its hi replacement cost.

Any suggestions would be quite welcome.

R

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:15 pm

I have had the same problem with a pair of Cyprus paddles. Have you tried using a different feather angle?

Douglas

George Fell

Post by George Fell » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:28 pm

So they can be fixed, but it involves System X (the UK importers) sending them off to the states for Werner to fix them which should take 4-6 weeks and cost £40.

System X have been really helpful and very quick to get back to me. I'll wave my paddles goodbye tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Cheers,
G

Renegade

Post by Renegade » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:32 pm

Douglas- yes, both paddles wobble at all feather angles.

G- please post how the Werner factery repair turns out.

I enquirer with an epoxy expert bout adding a wee bit of epoxy to one aff of the splits to take out some wobble, but haven't herd bak yet.

I don't think it's going to brake, but it sure gives me some pucker factor on a hard brace when I feel that wobble....

R

Renegade

Re: Wobbly Corryvreckans ^

Post by Renegade » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:34 pm

George-

Was the £40, just the shipping cost? Or was that the repair cost?
Then there's da retern shipping?

This could get spendy....

I think Werner only covers it for one year.

R

active4seasons

Post by active4seasons » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:20 pm

In my experience it is the shaft that wears on the inside of the femail end and can't see this is repairable. I along with a few of my clients have glued them into a one piece and use them for rockhopping and surfing with confidence, which wasn't the case when they were 2 piece.

Ollie
Developing Desire for Adventure!

George Fell

Post by George Fell » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:30 pm

Hi folks,
So paddles came back today. Because they're the old version (with the button that sits proud of the shaft) Werner haven't been able to replace the male end. They have replaced the female end with the new style button that sits flat with the shaft.

Because they haven't been able to replace both ends Werner and System X haven't charged me anything. System X have been great in letting me know what's been happening. I've got a set of Corryvreckans that although not perfect are a LOT better, and all I've paid for is one way postage to System X.

Thanks very much to them - definitely a very satisfied customer. :-)

Chatting to someone who's sent a couple of pairs of the modern corryvreckans off to Werner and paid the £40, he said they came back as good as new.

Cheers,
George

p.s. Ollie - yep I could turn them into 1 piece paddles, but they're not my main set of paddles - I'm mostly using Epic wings, so I'm really keen to keep them as splits

overfallpaddler

Post by overfallpaddler » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:58 am

Lettman and VE joint is the most durable and strongest by far