Paddle Float^

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
K8yaka

Paddle Float^

Post by K8yaka » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:08 am

I've asked a few people on their opinion on paddle floats but they have only given me mixed replies, so I wanted to know what your thoughts on them are and if you have one where you got it from.

MikeB

Re: Paddle Float

Post by MikeB » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:35 pm

I bet you'll get mixed replies :-)

Personally, if it's something you're going to depend on as a self-rescue aid, then I'd be against them. We experimented with them a few years ago and decided (in my paddling group anyway) that they were just a faff especially in the sort of sea that put one "in" in the first place. Certainly by the time you've faffed around with an inflatable one and got it on the paddle, and put the paddle in place, you'll likely be so cold that the problem you're trying to deal with has just got much worse. Even getting a foam one sorted will also take loads of time.

maryinoxford

Post by maryinoxford » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:42 pm

Pakboats have a different take on it, the Pakpod:
http://www.pakboats.com/index.php?optio ... Itemid=174

You attach a harness to your kayak dees. The pod clips to this with quick-release buckles, making a shaped drybag/ deckbag. It can be released quickly, and has a pocket to take the paddle when used as a float. The contents stay in the bag while using it as a float; unless you have absolutely packed it with cans of beer, the contained air gives more than enough buoyancy to compensate for the contents weight, and said weight helps to stabilise it as a float. I have, practising re-entry with a conventional float, put my weight too far over the side away from the float, lifted it out of the water and re-capsized. That's less likely with some added weight in the float.

I have a pakpod; never used it much, and I don't have a kayak any more. But I have tried putting it on the paddle while I was in the boat, and just leaning on it. It gives a good support, even with a kilo or two of stuff in it.

Mary
Not in Oxford any more...

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:45 pm

I do a lot of solo paddling and paddle sailing often in f4/5 winds. Though I can roll both sides and re-enter roll I never go to sea without a paddle float. I practice using it and am pretty slick with it. I use a thigh hook to get back in the cockpit.

Douglas

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:54 pm

PS those of you on Facebook should read Oliver Jay's post "Lessons learned" on 20th July 2015 about the aftermath of a solo capsize. Oliver is in the carry a paddle float camp.

Douglas

M-J-B

Post by M-J-B » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:34 pm

Basically you should be able to do an unassisted re-entry without a paddle float, but if you are tired (perhaps injured) and/or the conditions are difficult why not utilise the paddle float and make sure your first attempt to re-enter is successful? If you were to fail your first attempt the odds to succeed certainly won't increase on the repeated attempts. Your well chosen clothing should in any circumstance keep you warm enough during deployment of the paddle float regardless of water temp, and the float will be helpful in combination with many techniques (re-entry&roll, cowboy, cowgirl, heel hook etc.) even if only partially inflated once you have done some training with it. I wouldn't rely on the "traditional" paddle float resque (used as an outrigger) alone, but the paddle float can be used in many different ways.

If I go alone I make sure I have my paddle float with me and it's always with me on expeditions. I carry a single or double chamber inflatable paddle float which many times doubles as a pillow in camp, also for first aid (stabilizing broken limb, building outrigger for injured paddler during tow, aiding structural integrity of a broken hull etc.).

No harm in carrying one, just make sure you also practise self resques without one.

flat earth sails

Post by flat earth sails » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:44 pm

I never rated then highly until i saw a paddler youse one as a roling ade, with a re enter and role, forget the outriger set up , i now have one for if i mis my role stuf up my re enter and role and starting to get tide and cold.

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:11 pm

I always use a solid one, it's a kind of lucky charm for me. Don't bother with an inflatable one.
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

robhorton

Post by robhorton » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:07 pm

I keep an inflatable one behind my seat. Given that all self rescue methods seem to have serious drawbacks (re-entry & roll leaves you with a boat full of water; straddle rescue requires you to balance in the conditions that caused you to swim in the first place) and a paddle float is cheap, light, has a few potential uses (such as displacing water in a flooded compartment it seems a sensible thing to have. I'm well aware that they are not a silver bullet for self rescues though.