Icom M73 problems?^

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
MikeB

Icom M73 problems?^

Post by MikeB » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:31 pm

Anyone experienced any problems with what I can only describe as poor reception and "white noise" with an Icom?

My partner got one at Christmas - but we find that her set is markedly less able to receive than my older M71. Sitting side by side, I was hearing MSI and random broadcasts from other craft, and she wasn't. Additionally, it will frequently start to emit white noise, sometimes in the middle of receiving. Turning it off and on clears this and its fine for a bit, then does it again.

Both sets are set to 2 on squelch. Even increasing the setting doesn't help. It's been back to Icom who assert there is nothing wrong with it. It's going back again!

flat earth sails

Re: Icom M73 problems

Post by flat earth sails » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:39 pm

Iv had similer sorts of problems with icom, i now youse standard horisen, i get beter cuverage and longer batery life . We youse icom as suplied radios for the coast gard, ther all the same age , industrial sets and all are starting to exibit veriying signs of whering out , a bit shaby for a two year old set, the new ones are tate, thay only make comershal coms gear, it wold be grate if thay suplied a domestic set.

PhilAyr

Re: Icom M73 problems?

Post by PhilAyr » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:09 pm

Just a thought, the problem could be with the antenna. Have you tried swapping it for a known good one ? They usually look fine on the outside but they can be damaged internally.

I'm with Mick. I have had a standard horizon for years and apart from the lion battery wearing out, I have had no major problems.

Phil

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:14 pm

Interesting thought Phil - we'll try that this w/end if she hasn't already returned it.

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:41 pm

I have both Icom M73 and standard horizon HX750 sets. The Icom batteries hold their charge longer but Icom reception has been poor. As Phil has suggested I had an Icom antenna fail. I replaced it with a longer one off an old M1 euro v which fixed the problem. The other issue with the M73 is it is very easy to press the wrong button and change from international frequencies to USA frequencies. That does not do a lot for reception! It is very confusing because some frequencies are the same and some different.

Douglas

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:52 pm

Douglas Wilcox wrote:The other issue with the M73 is it is very easy to press the wrong button and change from international frequencies to USA frequencies.
Indeed - it would be better if that could be locked in some way, or at least made more difficult to change. That, and changing power level.

Very unimpressed with the service we had from Icom on this. Having spoken to them to get advice on what to do, and sent it direct to them at their suggestion, they had it for the best part of a month and had to be reminded about it. They then forgot to send it back.

They said it was fine. Which it clearly isn't, having used it myself as well as having listened to Cat using it.

I've been impressed with them in the past, and my M71 is excellent. But they need to up their game if what we've experienced is their current standard of customer care.

Anyway, will try swapping the aerials and see what happens. Failing which, I suspect we'll be taking this further.

scameron

Post by scameron » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:15 pm

amusing and timely ,that's the exact model I'd planned to buy next weekend as my first set, however opinions vary and reviews even more so

Grahamd

Post by Grahamd » Fri May 01, 2015 7:11 pm

I believe the M71 is 6W and many others are 5W so that might be the difference?

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun May 03, 2015 8:34 pm

Grahamd wrote:I believe the M71 is 6W and many others are 5W so that might be the difference?
It is - but of course really only a factor when transmitting. Anyway, this weekend saw Catherine's new M73 and my old M71 side by side again, in a fairly marginal reception area west of Gigha. I could hear the MSI, albeit with a lot of static - others, using a variety of sets could too - Catherine, with her brand new M73, couldn't. Back it will be going.

allan09

Post by allan09 » Sun May 03, 2015 9:30 pm

I just bought one of these a while ago too. My first vhf . I do sometimes think the reception isn't that good...nothing really concrete to base it on except a friend who had a fairly old vhf and he always seemed to get great reception so I was expecting good things from the m73. I do seem to get a lot of break up when listening to msi broadcasts. Having said that I have taken it to my local hill and can get good reception from marine traffic at Aberdeen harbour and ships over there which is about 10 miles away I guess.

Owen

Post by Owen » Sun May 03, 2015 10:15 pm

Allan,

Rasing the antenna will increase the range, I once got 80 miles with a handheld VHF but that was from the summit of Mount Kenya 17,000 and something feet. What really limits their use in sea kayaks is having the antenna around two feet from sea level. Also water is a very good block to radio waves so in a big (to a kayak) sea your going to be surrounded by a barrier to your signal; not very helpful.

If your reception isn't very good try adjusting the squelch first if that doesn't work buy a SH.

norb

Post by norb » Tue May 12, 2015 8:28 pm

Im happy owners IC-M73 Euro .
Have some problems with reception by Jura or Scarba , but most of Scotland or Hebrides M73 did really great job.
Even few miles offshore

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:18 am

Updating on this, the set has been back to them again having had identical problems with her set not receiving when mine was. Having done feck all with it for several weeks, they finally got round to checking it and returned it yet again saying it's fine. We are decidedly un-impressed with some of the worst customer service we've ever received!

(edit)

Updating on this, we eventually took it up with the retailer again, who returned it to Icom, who in turn replaced it with an ex-demo set as a "gesture of goodwill" ! This set, while it actually works properly, has significant corrosion! See this post for pics http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... 73#p775622

We continue to be un-impressed.

(edit)

FINALLY, we got Icom to accept there was a problem and they eventually provided a brand new set. Which actually works properly.