Flat earth sails for the UK

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
flat earth sails

Flat earth sails for the UK

Post by flat earth sails » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:41 pm

Good morning,
I know thers a few paddlers out ther patiantly wating for ther orders, i wont to apolagise for the wate, the hold up has been at this end, im now making up the UK sails, thay have been cut, paneld and now ther on the mashine being finished of, if everything runs smothly thay shold be heding to scotland on friday, again i cant apologise enough for the delay on my end
Wormast regards
mick MacRobb
Flat earth kayak sails

Douglas Wilcox

Re: Flat earth sails for the UK

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:16 pm

Greetings Mick, I am glad to hear you are toiling away in the heat of the sun for us frozen northerners!

Let me reassure you that any sails you send will be well used whether it is winter or not!

Us northerners might not have much likeing for great whites and crocs but we are not bothered by a wee bit of cold.

Douglas :o)

PhilAyr

Post by PhilAyr » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:25 pm

Thanks for the information Mick.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but did you say something in a previous post about a new material being used in your sails and if this is so will the next batch be made of this material ? I have no complaints with your sails, just curious.

Kind regards

Phil

flat earth sails

Post by flat earth sails » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:15 pm

Hi Phil,
The short anser is no, im still puting the new fabric through the ringer, if it shapes up as well as it looks like it will it will be avalabel mid year, with a new design that will fit existing masts ect.... Thers curently a sail floging around the back yard, its been left out for two munths in all conditions, sofare the fitings look realy second hand, but the cloth has no visabel signs of UV damage, sumthin that is worce down hear than up thear. Im going to put up a vidio of it in the next cupal of weeks.

PhilAyr

Post by PhilAyr » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:31 pm

Thanks for that Mick,

Thinking of replacing my sail at some point in the near future. I will pop along to Kari-tek when they receive the new batch.

Kind regards

Phil

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Sun May 03, 2015 1:33 pm

I was in Kari-tek the other day. 50 new sails arrived just as Mick promised but they are all were all presold! The good news is that a new version of the Flat Earth sail the Trade Wind 80 will get its international launch in Scotland! Mick is sending the first batch over to Kari-tek in mid May.

I have been lucky enough to try out a prototype on...

...a good mixed route in the Solway and have posted a review over on my blog.

Basically the Trade Wind 80 is an incremental improvement on what is already a great design. If you have one of the first generation all dacron sails from several years ago the improvement will be really noticeable and it would be worth upgrading. If you have a recent Kari-tek or P&H branded Code Zero it will not make your sail obsolete so only upgrade if you are one of those who must have the latest kit.

It is great to see how many people are taking up paddle sailing in the UK and really great that a product that is very much Australian is being launched here.

Douglas

flat earth sails

Post by flat earth sails » Sun May 03, 2015 11:23 pm

Thers a heep of half made tradewind 80 sails siting hear in my loft to be finished this week, all bound for Scotland, the second home of Sea kayak paddle sailing.

ian johnston

Post by ian johnston » Mon May 04, 2015 8:44 am

Good news Mick -

I hope to be purchasing one of them! :o)

Kind regards

Ian

nigelhatton

Post by nigelhatton » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:02 pm

When do the new Trade Wind sails arrive in the UK?

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:19 pm

I saw them in Karitek yesterday.

flat earth sails

Post by flat earth sails » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:46 pm

Thear is another pile of sails being finished off on the bench at present, im glad the new sail cut is being reseaved so well, i cant keep up with demand. The 70 is now re cut to and this weekend i hope to try out the new 100 . As Douglas has stated the new design is only a small step away from the code zero sails , radical changes can sumtimes destroy a good thing.
The next bach of sails shold be leaving hear end of next week

nigelhatton

Post by nigelhatton » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:33 am

Does anyone know if karitek are away for the summer hols because they do not respond to my emails nor does the phone get answered.
Just got trough on the phone, miracle, a lady says the computers have been down for some time and she's not sure what sails she has in stock?

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:54 pm

Nigel I was in Kari-tek last week and the first batch of Trade Wind 80's had arrived. If they have all sold, I noticed that they still had some display code zero's that might be worth asking about. I know that a second batch of Trade Wind 80's are being prepared in Australia for shipment to Karitek soon.
Douglas

nigelhatton

Post by nigelhatton » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:45 pm

Douglas, I finally ordered a Trade Wind over the phone and that saves having to ride to nr Barcelona.
I'll reinforce the top deck of my Kayak in a few days. I hope they send the correct kit through!
PS, I have no experience of sailing anything apart from a windsurf board

flat earth sails

Post by flat earth sails » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:13 pm

Good morning,
With a little bit of experiance on a bord you wont have eny trubel geting things sorted, the big thing i always say to new paddle sailers is not to over think what ther doing, and not to choke the sail by having it puled in to much. Take it out in light winds to start with untill you have your sail managment and feel fot bracing sorted out. The most importent skill to master is geting it down and stowed quikly .
Hope you like your experiance with paddle sailing
Regards
Mick, flat earth sails

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:13 pm

The new Trade Wind 80 really is rather good...

flat earth sails

Post by flat earth sails » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:41 pm

Grate photo, notice how the sail is holding the kayak into the water , its not geting knoked around , sails often make a kayak more stabel in chopy conditions. Anuther thing to note on the forword up hall stay , its important to have the shock cord loop, if the kayak was to go over in theas conditions the shock cord will take the suden jaring out of the mast and stop a lot of the potential damage to the mast.
My other theory is having a fuse in the system, the mast is just strong enough, if you do or get into a stupid situation ( i still do) the mast might bend or brake, i look at it in this light, if sumthings going to brake i think a mast is beter than punching a hole in my kayak , a hole in the deck of a kayak cold ruwen your hole week out. A broken mast means ether a jerey rig when you hit the beach or a paddle week insted.

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:46 pm

Thanks Mick.

Mick>
notice how the sail is holding the kayak into the water , its not geting knoked around , sails often make a kayak more stabel in chopy conditions.
I could not agree more.

After working our way up wind Tony and I bore off and started our down wind blast. The waves, swell and clapotis were pushing and bouncing us around all over the place.

Then we put the sails up and...

...whooohoo we were off in full control.

flat earth sails

Post by flat earth sails » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:02 pm

Another bach of the new Trade Wind 80's and a handfull of the brand new Trade Wind 100's left today on ther way to Scotland. The new sail has pruven so popular i can hardly keep up with orders.
For those of you in the US a bach of the new trade wind 80's 70's and 100 water tribe spec sails have also departed for flat earth sails north america.

nigelhatton

Post by nigelhatton » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:00 pm

My chances of obtaining a sail from Karitek have taken a knock back. I phoned Karitek a couple of weeks ago and asked if they had the new Trade Wind sail kit in stock. The lady I spoke with gave me the normal pre purchase business talk that they had them in stock so I gave my details over the phone. I was told it would be sent out the next day and I would receive an email from them with the tracking details etc. I waited 8 days for that email and conformation it had been sent but I never got it. I phoned feeling there was something suspicious about the transaction. I was passed from one woman to another and then told the sail kit would be sent out the following Monday, a few days later. They said a machine that makes or cuts the aluminium mast was broken or something similar. I knew it was false because to cut aluminium a simple chop saw does the job but I was more annoyed because of the deception, the lack of communication to me via email that they could not send the kit out.
I was supposed to be going on a 5:day trip with a school here.

I cancelled the order and I hope they refunded the money, I've yet to check my bank account.

I think I may make a sail and kit myself or ride down to nr Barcelona but 2 hours on a motorcycle?????

ian johnston

Post by ian johnston » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:06 pm

Hi Nigel,

My Tradewind 80 plus mast arrived Saturday from Karitek. I ordered in April and was told that it would be late June before the sails were in stock. Karitek phoned two weeks ago to let me know there was a delay due to a breakdown with the machine which finishes the mast pieces. I think it's fair to say that demand is pretty high for the new sail as Mick has posted.

I can understand your frustration with a delay, but "Deception" seems a strong term to use. I've dealt with Karitek numerous times and always had good customer service. They are a small family company and have an engineering part of the business as well as the kayak part. Sometimes that means that things aren't as slick as a large business, but they are good, honest folks to deal with in my experience.

Kind regards

Ian

Jonathan.

Post by Jonathan. » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:05 am

I've dealt with Karitec several times and think them outstanding.

One incident sticks in my memory. A few years ago I was on the Isle of Man and was stuck with a trolley that kept collapsing. For some reason I thought I had bought it from Karitec so I phoned them, told them my problem, and was immediately promised a replacement by courrier.

After the call I had another look at the trolley, and was embarrassed to discover it had been made by someone else. Not Karitec at all. Whoops! Of course, I had to phone them to confess. But that's not the point.

I tell the tale as an instance of how Karitec gave this customer the benefit of the doubt, and how I've felt exceptionally well looked after by them.
============
Northshore Atlantic
============

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:37 pm

nigelhatton wrote: I was more annoyed because of the deception
Speaking as one who has had multiple dealings with Kari-Tek for several years, and having got to know and respect the staff, I can say that this comment is totally contrary to my experience, and reprehensible on the evidence offered. All businesses can sometimes display inefficiency and poor communication.
Nick.

flat earth sails

Post by flat earth sails » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:47 am

We are both small family bisneses, and we do strive to do the very best for our customers, but sumtimes we fail, and i can only apolagise both for flat earth sails and Kari Tek , and hope we can keep up with demand beter in the future

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:50 pm

nigelhatton wrote:- - the normal pre purchase business talk ---- something suspicious about the transaction--- I knew it was false -- deception

I cancelled the order - -
I have to say I suspect they are delighted you did. While something may well have gone wrong, as these things do, applying the terms you've used to what is generally regarded as a very helpful business really is a bit off.

4x4maddog

Post by 4x4maddog » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:08 pm

I have only used Kari-Tec a few times but found them fantastic to deal with. Ordered and paid for things on the phone and arrived shortly after.

Bards

Post by Bards » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:37 am

nickcrowhurst wrote:
nigelhatton wrote: I was more annoyed because of the deception
Speaking as one who has had multiple dealings with Kari-Tek for several years, and having got to know and respect the staff, I can say that this comment is totally contrary to my experience, and reprehensible on the evidence offered. All businesses can sometimes display inefficiency and poor communication.
Nick.

Seconded unreservedly.

Bards

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:11 pm

Well I have been a customer of Kari-Tek as long as I can remember. Kayaks, demo kayaks and gear, paddles, roof rack, J bars, storage rack, sails, accessories, hydro skeg, fittings, dry suits, strobes, DVDs, trailer repairs and modifications...I could go on. I have always received first class attention, either in person in the shop or on the phone. Yes there has sometimes been a delay but usually they have gone out of their way to lend me an alternative. With regard to any warranty queries, they have been outstanding.

It was me that introduced Mick MacRobb of Flat Earth sails to both Geoff Turner of Kari-Tek and Graham Mackerreth of P&H. I think it has been a great collaboration. You just need see the number of kayak sails now on UK waters to appreciate that.

Douglas

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:32 am

Karitek have always provided excellent service whenever I have ordered kit or demoed kayaks
Mal

Stuart Yendle

Post by Stuart Yendle » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:50 am

Received my trade wind yesterday from Karitek. Has taken a while but Karitek kept me informed all the time. Next day delivery once I paid.

In the instructions that came with it, the side stays/shrouds are set slightly back from the mast and the lines come up to a cleat on the deck. I suppose this creates more clutter on the deck but makes it easier to keep the shrouds tight, which my friend had trouble with on his. Would you recommend this? I notice in all the other set up photos I've seen the shrouds are in line with the mast and are fixed to eyelets. I'll be attaching mine to a Greenland T.